I might be wrong on this one... (re: MR Logo)

Discussion in 'Community' started by cr2sh, Oct 28, 2002.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I might be wrong on this one, but I really dislike the macrumors logo and slogan. This is one of the few rumor sites I frequent, but quite frankly it has (IMHO) the crappiest logo of most I've seen. I think the next contest should call for design of a new logo and might i suggest the slogan "MacRumors: Where reality meets desperation." :) If macrumors had a decent logo I might actually buy an overpriced tshirt in the merch shop...

If I'm wrong then please, flame me...

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Re: I might be wrong on this one...

Well, it's your opinion.. so you can't be wrong.

Although I think the logo looks fine, your idea of the logo contest sounds fun... I dunno. It depends on what Arn thinks..

irmongoose

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Oppinions are like *******s. Everyone has one.

But hey I don't mind the logo contest either.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't forget to add...

*******s are like opinions, because every now and then you run into a real hemorhoid.

or the non technical version ...

Every now and then you run into an inflamed *******.

[​IMG]

5. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Re: Re: I might be wrong on this one...

There is always a shortest path, there is always a best solution - I believe that there are also wrong opinions.

6. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Donno 'bout the logo, I kinda like it, but the slogan could use some work...

Let's wait and see if Arn drops by this thread.

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I like the logo. :) If you can come up with a better one, send it on...

as for the slogan... - which? The Mac News you Care about? or Backstage Pass? The backstage pass was sort of a stop-gap placed at the time of MWSF 2002. It wasn't meant to be permanent.

arn

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Do you even know where that slogan is taken from?

[edit] Whoops.. I see Arn has explained it. [/edit]

irmongoose

9. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I would impruve the logo

I like the logo concept, but it is not that "Mac", it is not "cool", it is neat but it does not call my attention, it is very simple.

I would run for a contest to see what whe can discover, just for the logo design with the same concept.

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Well, I don't want to set up a full contest over it... and as I said, I'm not really looking for anything new... but...

if you think you can wow me... and produce an original logo that I think is good enough to replace the current one... I'll give the creator lifetime demi-god status (no contribution necessary).

It has to be an original work though... and even copying an official Apple logo is not allowed. Remember, this has to be able to be reproduced on mugs etc... and Apple probably won't allow their logo on unofficial Apple gear.

send submissions to webmaster@macrumors.com

arn

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

what's the time frame on this? I might have to do something....

D

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

whenever...

like I said, I'm not actually looking, and I actually LIKE the current logo... :) So, it's a challenge.

arn

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

oh, I had no doubt it would be a challenge - and it will also have to look good as your avatar - so there are some really tricky parameters on this one. But its worth a try, and you never know.

D

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

remember I tried it before.....in 3D

Attached Files:

15. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Like it dukestreet, but I don't think the gradient fits in with the rest of the site, unless the whole top of the side faded to black. Cool though, I need to get into the 3d world.

16. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I say don't fix what is not broken. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the logo and it fit's the site well, but I agree that "it's like a backstage pass to the future" is kinda lame. but arn did say it was not meant to be permamnent.

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The gradient wasn't going to be part of the logo, it was just in there for effect. I never followed up on it. But after doing a little thinking I've come up with an idea and I'll send it to arn to see what he thinks.

D

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Since your into 3d and I am at the moment not. Why not a 3d Apple with a bite out of it that spins slowly.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Animated logos aren't the best thing, especially if you have to print them on mugs......I'll submit what ever I do to arn and post it here, just for kicks...

D

20. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Heh.....you could put one of those holograms on the mug that make the logo look like it's spinning.......

Attached Files:

• 18.gif
      18.gif
      File size:
      497 bytes
      Views:
  21. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I just feel that the front page, logo included, has an almost "beige" feel to it. Almost as if the page had been designed several years ago, but never renovated - I don't mean to be insulting at all, I love this site, but as for Apple users, I think we tend to be much more conscious of design and aesthetics, and the logo leaves something to be desired. Maybe even changing the fonts and colors slightly could do something... I'll work on it.

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

a fast aquafication of the logo - I'll be doing another type/style later.

D

Attached Files:

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

24. medea macrumors 68030

medea

That's actually really good dukestreet, I wouldn't be upset if arn were to choose a new logo like that.

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its basically a photoshop layered approach and not too hard. I did it fast, so its not that great. But you need one main hi-light and two upper and lower ones (1 pixel or so, maybe blured) for the interior edges.

You can do a search online and find several tutorials. The only problem with it is that its been done a little too much. I'll probably do a modified version that incoroporates only elements of 'aqua' on the next one when I get around to it. I'll have to see what sort of feedback I get from arn.

But it would take MacRumors from the old style to a new style...and mugs can print 4 color images, so that would work.

D