I might get an iPod but...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LimeiBook86, Aug 5, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I was thinking of getting an iPod, you know the 5GB ones. I love the iPod, it's awsome! But I don't like how they took away the scroll wheel. I thought that was sweet. Can the old 5GB iPod with a scrool whell have CONTACTS? Because if it can I'm buyin one from PowerMax, if not I'll go for the $299 one and buy it at the Apple Store. I like buying stuff from Apple :D

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

The scroll wheel on the new iPod isn't gone it just doesn't turn anymore, if you run your finger around it works in exactly the same way (like a track pad)

Yes, the all iPods (with the appropriate Firmware upgrades) can support contacts.

Ensign

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

thanks

I like the whell better then the scroll-pad thingy:rolleyes:

4. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

only the 10 and 20 GB versions have the no movable parts scroll wheel. the 5GB version still has the original scroll wheel.

5. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

The new trackpad-like scroll-wheel is a cool idea, but I can't imagine it would be as accurate... playing breakout with it would be nightmare-ish. I haven't tried it yet, but I just imagine it would be weird.

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

OT: im sorry beej but im going to have to ask you to stop posting. your avatar keeps hypnotizing me... my eyes are just drawn to the white space... cant concentrate...

all kidding aside, the new scroll wheel is a lot like most of apple's stuff you have to try it before you believe it actaully works. just like how we were all skeptical of the imac arm before we got to play with it a bit.

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: I might get an iPod but...

Functionally, the old iPods and new iPods should have the same funcionality - in that the firmware upgrade will be avail for all iPods...

The wheel issue is a personal one I suppose... but i'd encourage you to try it out.

If you don't mind the old-style wheel and don't need more than 5 gigs, then u could get a good deal.

arn

8. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

WOW!

Hey arn! Wow you actualy replied to one of my posts. You have a great site running, keep up the good work!

Oh by the way it would be cool to ad another smiley face icon to use in our fourms. Just a thought.
    :D

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think arn has used the sad face...and the wink before.

I'm also keeping track of alex_ant, who uses just the :) and, on rare occassions, the :D.

:rolleyes:

10. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Hmmm, I haven't seen any of the new 10 or 20's around my parts yet, and I was planning on upgrading, but now you've got me all concerned about the breakout playability! I only play it on airplanes where the time just seems to melt away, so I really don't want to lose breakout, but my 5gb is full. Anyone try breakout on the new 10's or 20's?

11. DaedalusDE macrumors regular

I played breakout on a 20gig at the apple store a couple of days ago... The touch pad worked great, but unfortunately for me i couldnt get used to the button in the middle so i ended up sucking at the game anyway... i think the touch pad works just as well as the scroll wheel