i might have marfan syndrome

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by count chocula, Jun 27, 2006.

1. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

wiki: marfan syndrome i had my yearly physical today and the doctor think's i may have marfan syndrome. he said i'm not showing any heart related symptoms, but i'm 15 years old, 74 or so inches tall (6 foot 2) and my wingspan in like 2 or 3 inches longer. something like that, i dont remember exactly what the numbers were, but they were something along those lines. i'm kinda worried, people with marfan syndrome suffer symptoms including heart problems, scoliosis (i suffer this a little, but nothing serious), nearsightedness (i do suffer this), and some other physical conditions. pretty scary, this really messes with your heart. abraham lincoln suffered from it.

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The question is when you stop growing. I was a bit taller, a few years earlier but I stopped growing at 13. I worried about it too especially because a college basketball star had just dropped dead on the court and it was big news at the time.

3. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

when i broke my ankle recently, when two different doctors looked at the x rays, they both said that i have alot more growing to do.

4. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

There are other symptoms besides the ones you listed... genetic testing should also help in making a more firm diagnosis. You should trust your doctor and be concerned, but don't freak out until you know once and for all.

As an asian, I'm abnormally tall (6' and 4") and have a wide wingspan but have never been diagnosed with Marfan's... no heart problems that I know of (aside from an unhealthy obsession with bacon). You're also very young, so you may just be in that "awkward" phase where your weight/musculature is having trouble keeping up with your frame.

So like I said, be concerned but also realize that physician's aren't 100% correct all the time... likely your doctor saw some numbers that he/she was curious about and decided that it was better to be safe than sorry.

5. count chocula thread starter macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i'm not too worried, just concerned.. thanks for your advice.