I might need to give up my baby....

Discussion in 'Community' started by jsw, Jan 25, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm sure all fathers and fathers-to-be can relate to what happened recently:

First, there was a slight anticipation that, maybe, there might be a chance for a new addition to the family. Then, there were the early signs - things that indicated that it was going to happen, but no solid proof. Finally, the test were positive, and a new one was on the way.

Then, the eager anticipation, the worries, etc:

"I can't wait!!"
    "Can we afford this?"
    "Which room to use?"
    "OMG, think about all the stuff we need to buy!"
    "I can't wait to send pictures to friends and family!"

After a long wait, the baby arrived! Smaller than I expected, but oh so cute. But... the nagging doubt about affordability. I'd been told that my employer might be able to help out financially. I was hoping that it might be true.

Sadly, though, I found out yesterday around lunchtime that I'll get no help from them. And we can't really afford this little one, with others already in this small house, costing money, taking up all my free time.

So, I realized yesterday that I need to return my baby.

It broke my heart to realize that, but to keep the baby would be to subject my family to unneeded hardship.

Fortunately, I had 10 days to make up my mind, as long as the box was unopened. I have never in my life been so tested as I've been for the past few days, staring at my Mac mini box, wanting to free it.

So, anyway, I walked out yesterday afternoon, sad but determined to do what was right. And then I stopped.

It's important to note at this point that I live around Boston, and we got ~3 feet of snow this weekend. I spent most of the day Sunday shoveling out room for one of our vehicles to get out, and most of that time was spent removing the - literally - 4 to 5 foot tall, 5-6 foot thick wall of snow the plows had pushed in front of my driveway. Removing a giant wall of snow, when the surrounding snow is already a few feet high, is no fun task. But I did it, and spent Sunday night inside, exhausted, barely able to post, and Monday morning working from home (few people in the area went in to work Monday morning).

But, anyway, I called Monday afternoon, and the Apple store was open. I went out to my driveway (hidden from view from the house due to its location and the giant piles of drifted snow in the way) and saw... another freaking 4 foot tall, 4-5 foot wide pile of snow in front of my driveway. I couldn't believe it. I mean, I knew the cleanup plows would push a bit more there, but I never expected that much. After all, I'd spent hours clearing a huge opening the day before, so where did all the snow come from? When I walked to the end, it was clear - the plow had veered over and hit one of the giant mounds on the side of the driveway and pushed it into the front of my driveway. I say "veered" because the road was visibly wider right before my driveway than it was before or after that - the plow had literally touched the edge of my yard, whereas everywhere else it was a foot or two away, at least, from mine and everyone else's. And it pushed everything I'd shoveled (well, half - the other half was on the other side) plus a lot of other snow from the side back to my driveway. This especially irked me because I'd taken care and exerted effort to ensure that I'd piled the snow well back from the plow line. Hey, I know plow guys work hard. I'm sure he didn't veer on purpose, unless he was - as I suspect - a minion of Satan. Perhaps his arm jerked when he went to inject the heroin. Maybe the crack pipe dropped a hot rock on his leg that caused him to veer unintentionally. Maybe he lost sight of the road for a second as he reached down to grab his vodka bottle. Perhaps the Whipit canister blocked his view as he was inhaling nitrous. Maybe he just hates me for some reason because I live in a decrepit tiny house surrounded by mansions (well, not literally mansions, but 5000+ square foot, three car garage, covered pool, acre-plus homes) and I'm bringing down property values.

So, anyway, it took another two hours to re-dig myself out, at which point I'd lost any motivation to go anywhere.

Today, there was no snow in front of my driveway. I can only assume the plow driver is still sleeping it off and will return tomorrow, probably to plow snow over the trash that I need to set out tonight.

Anyway, I'm sitting here with a $600 mini I bought specifically to bring to work to allow me to have the joy of OS X as I did my Linux-based coding (I can do 99% of it on the Mac, and the Linux solution they're providing is VMWare installed on my old Dell laptop's tiny slow drive which is stupidly encrypted so as to run even slower). Yeah, I need to shell out at least another $80 or so for RAM to up it to 512MB, more likely ~$200 to up it to a GB, but I have KVM there, so I could just plug it in and use it - and there are other Macs at work (few, but some), so I know the company allows them.

I need to at least return it to get it off my corporate card and onto a personal one, and I just cannot justify keeping it since I have a dual-2 G5 and an 800MHz flat-panel iMac and an old G3 Lombard PB.

Still, I really, really want to keep it, for no reason other that a pure emotional attachment to what is for all intents and purposes just a small box containing old technology.

Sad, right? But, even though I know I need to bring it back, it's just so hard actually doing it. There are either literal obstacles in my way or emotional ones.

And I know Blue Velvet wanted to see my mini review. I feel bad that I'll need to let her down.

And then there's the girl who was in line behind me at the Apple Store Saturday. She was frantic with worry that she wouldn't get a mini. She'd been saving to buy a Mac, her PC had gone kaput, and she was so worried that she wouldn't get a mini that she was - literally - teary-eyed. When she realized that she'd get one, she was as happy as I have ever seen anyone. The tears turned to tears of joy. She so yearned to be a Mac owner (we all talk about it, but I've honestly never seen anyone so happy buying a computer in my entire life). I gave her the MacRumors URL (of course) and told her that I'd be able to help if she had any problems. Now, while I'm sure others will help her, I won't be able to.

Has anyone else bought a Mac and had to return it?

2. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

You are my hero.
    Snowed in for two days, staring at that box, how did you fight the urge to open that puppy up and let it run?

I have no idea how you will be able to muster the will required to return that sweet little bundle of joy. Yes, I understand that it will find another loving and happy home. But how do you do it, man? I know I couldn't.

I can't imagine that you would have used the corporate card without getting some sense from your employers that they would contribute to the purchase. Why did they back off?

I have an old 400MHz G3 on my desk at work, which is okay but kinda slow these days. I manage a prepress department, and am responsible for determining when new hardware is needed, and where to allocate it. As the manager, I usually end up with the least productive, most under-powered Mac in the building on my desk, prefering to keep the fastest boxes in the hands of the people who actually do the work. I have little hope of ever having a current computer on my desk. When I got my PowerBook last summer, I started bringing it into work so I could do things faster. I still bring it to work every day. I'd say I use it for work about 60% of the time. I had no hope that my boss would see this and decide to pony up some cash to help out with the bills. I can't imagine having to take it back.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I had a Powerbook that was continually crashing last year. I returned it after 4 weeks to the retailer to swap it for a shiny new one.

And I did feel a twinge of guilt as I traded in my baby - kind of like I was abandoning it at the orphanage. I do hope it was refurbed and went to a good home! :(

5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

sniff ssnniifff sssnnnniiiiffffff bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

So sad dude. Guess what, in 6 months there will be shelves full of "son of Mac Mini". although young you're Mac does get around!

It will be the same price with a faster HD, more ram, a maybe even a mouse!

Love the children you have, when one is ready to leave the nest and venture into the world, stick a new one in their vacant bed.

(or abuse the tax return and keep the one ya got!)

Rots a Ruck with your decision! Just remember there are people in this forum with no Mac at all (eat all your food there are starving people in the world).

6. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

My boss told me on Friday that he thought there was a good chance he could get approval for a sub-$1000 purchase. Obviously, it was no guarantee, but I figured that, given the likely unavailability of the mini after Saturday, it was better to buy one and return it if needed than wait and then not be able to get one for over a month, giving work that much time to change their mind. As it turns out, I can't get it because it's "non-standard". Yeah, shocking, I know. A bit surprising, though, because (1) it's under $1000, which seems to be some magical number (gets less scrutiny, more easily approved, etc.), (2) people in my building have PowerMacs (not my group, but my company, and there's a corporate page for Mac users); and (3) they're likely going to buy me a Linux box anyway because their current solution is so horrible.

7. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

I know - this thread was mainly in jest. I just am sad that I thought that - for once - I'd be able to use a Mac at work. C'est la vie.

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Isn't there someone in charge of IT who can back you up on this purchase? I know, I must be insane to suggest an IT professional would ever argue for a Mac. I'm lucky, in that our IT guy used to work in prepress, and he understands that having a certain quantity of Macs around helps him to get everything else done.

$1,000 is a threshold in my company, too. Anything that hits 4 figures has to have an ROI written up, be submitted through proper channels to our corporate HQ, and approved. Usually takes 7-10 work days, during which time we do without. Sucks in an emergency, but they have to work with the LCD (not the display kind :rolleyes: ) when determining they can trust folks to know what they are purchasing.

9. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sadly, no. The ones I've talked to seem to think that OS X is the work of the devil, likely because widespread use of it would threaten their jobs. ;)

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I wasn't wanting to be mean, just poke fun, kinda look at the bright side kinda thing, sorry.

11. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Please! I didn't think you were being mean! You were right - really, it's no big deal. :) I was just a bit miffed and took the opportunity to throw in a few digs, as it were, about the plow man as well. I was waiting for a build to complete (working at home, on my lovely Mac) and had time to kill.

12. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

13. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Take heart...you may have to return your little one now, but there will be another just like it, for much cheaper, on Apple's Refurbs page probably within the next quarter (well, maybe not with the BTO options available, but you get the picture).

I hear you on the emotional thing....even though I know perfectly well I don't need a second Mac (well, third--the iBook's still on loan) I want a Mac mini ever so much! I'm still trying to think of justifications for getting one: PVR. DIY .Mac server. Something. Anything!! :eek:

Apple's ability to make me WANT stuff never fails to amaze me.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Don't know if this is what you meant. But I was in a similar situation. I needed to make a change in Software and hardware to better do my job. The boss would not spring for it. Went and bought it on my dime, and took a tax deduction because of my home office at the time - under the rule about for the connivence of the employer. This also allowed me to deduct the mortgage portion used for my office, utilities and the such.

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

Initially, I was shocked to read the thread title. Someone near and dear to us here at MacRumors may be loosing a child. A child I thought. How horrible.

Then I realize that you must consider giving away your Mac mini. Although not quite the same as a real child, I can understand your anguish. Watching it day after day as it sits alone in a box. Crying out to you like a caged animal.

Free me. Let me loose in the world.

But you remain steadfast. You must return it, you think. It's unreasonable. You already have too many toys. Speaking of which, you quickly download new music onto your 40GB 4G iPod from your Dual-G5 while watching newly duped DVDs from your LaCie d2 on your 20" Cinema Display, hoping somehow it will make you feel better.

Think of the joy I can bring.

No! You load the box into your car and head back through the snow to your house. There must be something you can do to take your mind off your plight. You head to the iMac and download more music to your wife's iPod. There, that should do it.

It's only a small restocking charge if you open me. Even if you decide you don't want me (how could you?!) you can still return me. Just give me a chance.

You begin to break down. So true, you think. So true. You look around your house at the clutter that defines your current collection of equipment.

Walking back out to your car, you gather the mini into your arms. "You know," you think, "I really could use something around here to play with."

P.S. Information contained herein has been culled from various posts in MR. Not through stalking ;)

16. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Suspiciously good memory you have for a non-stalker....
    [​IMG]

(GIF thanks to e)

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

Perhaps I should say not through physical stalking. I secretly shadow all of your activities on MR... ;)

Besides, I can tell you are still sore that e had a stalking thread and you didn't.

18. ford prefect macrumors newbie

Did someone call for a stalker? ;)

19. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Yes, that makes it a little easier. Hopefully, your boss will see the light down the road and realize that you could (conservatively) pay for that mini 5x over in the course of a year just through productivity increases alone. And by then, maybe there will be a G5 in that baby.

So, have you actually returned it yet, or are you still in the "steeling myself" stage?

20. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Still "steeling myself".

I need to return it quickly, though, as I find myself muttering "my precious" disturbingly often.

21. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

ROFLMAO!! Man, that was a funny mental image I just had. Not to laugh at your pain or anything.

22. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Funny to you, maybe. Not funny to me. Try carrying a boxed mini around on your finger, day in and day out. Small or not, that box makes for a damned heavy ring. The invisibility is nice, though.

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Well, at least the box has that handle. :rolleyes:

24. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

The deed is done.

The was a bit of a hassle, what with need to cast the mini box into Mount Doom and all, but I got my money back.

I feel empty.

25. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Hey, I can see you again! :)

You really went through the emotional gamut since Saturday, from the heights of being at an Apple Store buying just-released hardware, to having to dig out your driveway twice, to staring at a box for four days that was clearly whispering in your ear the whole time, to the frustration of your employee backing away from a quasi-commitment, and finally the heartache of putting your baby up for adoption.
    Heck, I feel empty just thinking about it.

As I said earlier...you are my hero. Keep your chin up, you'll get your mini yet (and with cheaper BTO options!).