I miss 9 :...(

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Jun 11, 2004.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Some times I wish some one could come up with 9.5 just like that. OSX is ok but I move like fish in the water on 9. I have one Powerbook 12" with a 20" Cinema Display and the wireless mouse and keyboard, but I still using my 2 Powerbooks Pismos under sys 9.2 and they run great. I'm using Protools free and After Effects because there are some plugins I can not run under OSX because they are not longer available.

But even when OS9 crashes I can find everything so fast, the file managment is faster. The apple menu items is a must under OSX, it saves me from a lot of searching trough windows.

But any way, I may get a dual G4 that can run OS9 later on because of some softwares and plugins and specially price.

What ever (snif, snif)

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I used Mac OS 9.2.2 until January. It was my wife that kept after me to switch. I'm one that doesn't like change. So I procrastinated. I also thought that I would miss 9. Even after I had Panther installed, for a short time I used Classic. It seemed very cumbersome to use. When I switched all my programs, then I went cold turkey.

Now almost six months later I've never looked back. I'm very happy!
    :)

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I have always liked being on top of emerging technology. I have used OS X as my main OS since the Public Beta, and have used the paid upgrade ever since. I hated using Classic, even though it always seemed eloquently integrated, going back just seemed cumbersome and awkward. Now more than ever with Panther and the fast computers to run it, OS X has been able to become a natural extension that OS 9.x was for most people. In short, I am *extremely* happy with OS X and I cannot imagine where the stagnant development of OS 9 would have led us to now without OS X.

4. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i agree...i have to boot into OS 9 regularly (and i just today bought a 1.25Ghz DP G4 for $2,400!!!!! I could have bought a G5 for that!!!) and i actually really enjoy using it, it's sooo much more responsive. In OS X I am fairly frequently waiting for windows to open and the whole thing to catch up with me, and this on an 800Mhz G4 iMac and a 500Mhz DP G4...

one of my favourite features of Panther is actually the labels, and the way the icons look, i didn't much like the previews pics before it was released, but as with most things Apple, it looks great even after initial doubts (iChat springs to mind also)

write an OS 9.5 Apple!!!!

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i know you're probably being sarcastic, but that's never gonna happen. :)

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

I began to think a bit about OS 9 earlier in the week only because, unlike Panther or almost any version of OS X before 10.2, OS 9 can "get things done without having to trip over bugs or software crashes." I use OS 9 for Graphing Calculator, and sometimes Windows Media Player 7 for files that don't play correctly under Windows Media 9 for OS X...I can't switch back to OS 9 now, because my software requires OS X.

7. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

aaahhh, OS 9. The OS that has made me love Apple so much. I really miss it. OS X is great and all, with all the cool software and stuff, but I like OS 9 better. I like it because the windows felt more responsive, there were all straight lines bordering everything. But now is OS X, everything has rounded edges, everything looks like bubbles, and I always get the spinning beach ball of doom. If OS X wasn't based off of Unix, I would still be using OS 9 on a 400 MHz G3.

I miss OS 9. :(

If anybody has a computer with OS 9 they are willing to sell, PM me.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

People probably miss the built-in coffee breaks OS 9 came with, whenever you start a big process and would have to wait until it finished -- or risk crashing the machine.

9. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

hahahaha, oh yes. i remember the days of the 1x cd burner and OS 8.6 (and system 7). i used to do the archiving when i first started work in London, pop a blank CD in the burner (back in the day when they cost a few dollars EACH) and set it going...50 minutes and a music CD shopping spree later, the disc may have finished! Toast back then was a processor hog, so you couldn't do anything when burning...

and yeah, sending a quark doc to the RIP was pretty dodgy sometimes, dare not do anything else whils that was sending haha...

oh those were the days...

10. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

Yes, as waiting for TRON 2.0 or a new Atari computer... this world is a night mare!!!

Well, I will survive with OSX, but I will allways going to keep a Pismo with 9 just in case.

11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

seriously though, can anybody imagine where the development of 9 would have led to by now? X changed that path... where would we be now without the advent of X?

Please share! :)

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

Who ran Toast during then? Adaptec?? Bah...I know that before Roxio took over, all Adaptec versions of Toast followed this general procedure:
    [1] If you do not click Eject within the alloted time of the session complete pop-up dialog, Toast will waste another 15 minutes of your processing power.
    [2] Do nothing on your computer until the entire burn process has completed.
    [3] Make absolutely no attempts to put the Toast window in the background, or Toast will f*** up your session entirely.

And, unfortunately, I was just getting used to Adaptec Toast 4 for the first time...why the hell does it take 3 minutes to put a file on a disk vs. 3 seconds with a Zip disk?

13. raynegus macrumors regular

If you want something like the Apple menu back, try XMenu:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22117

It's free and not a hack (like FruitMenu) and runs on very very little CPU power. I miss the old Apple menu a lot and wish Steve would put back in OS X. Until then, XMenu works for me.

14. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    still running 9.2.2 on all 6 of my macs( 4 imacs, 1 g3 and a dual 1ghz). some of our software that is proprietary to our business may never be ported to X...who knows?

and upgrading my audio rig to X would just not be cost effective. 9 runs great and my system almost never crashes. if it's not broke....

and yes, the old 8.0 and 8.6 days with toast and a glyph 2x burner was the pits. damn, i made a lot of coasters.

15. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

It's funny that OS 9 was brought up now, because I just had my first encounter with it in almost a year just this week. I have an old blueberry iBook that was crapping out on me, and I finally got it fixed, but it won't boot into any OS X drive or disk, only OS 9. I think it might have to do with the 32mb RAM, but not even OS 10.0 would install on this sucker...

Oh well, it's practically useless, and is counting down the days to it's demise...

My mom still uses OS 9, though...

16. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

you can try xmenu as raynegus mentioned. or you can try butler which is incredible! its much more then just an apple menu replacement! or you can check out macworld's tutorial (towards the bottom) to create your own applescript menu.

i do agree that os9 was much snappier then osX was. even with panther, it doesn't quite compare. but hopefully that will be resolved in tiger.

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I was using OS 8.6 today and had a momentary brain freeze when I wanted to hide the current application. I was about to press Command-H but I knew that was wrong. After a split second, I remembered to use the application menu Hide command instead! Switching back and forth can be a bit confusing.

Mac OS X has a different design than 7 and 8 and 9, and certainly a different implementation, and that produces tradeoffs. (Hey Apple, window-shading was great - build that into Tiger!)

In any case, we aren't going to stop the march of progress. OS X requires more resources, so the appropriate long-term plan is to give it what it wants and reap the benefits. My old Macs get older every year, and I know they are more and more items of nostalgia and not alternatives to my Power Mac G4.

18. iGav macrumors G3

I've been using OSX since the first public beta in 2000, and installed it as a full functioning OS in 2001 along with OS9. In 2002 I finally migrated fully to OSX as the software I use came online, although I kept a fully functioning version of OS9 installed with all my software just incase I ever got stuck. I abandoned Classic and OS9 forever last year, I don't even have Classic installed anymore as I can do so much more in OSX now.

I can't say I miss OS9 (or 8.6, 8.5, 8 or System 7) and all the problems that came with it. I lost count of the times I'd get extension issues, or OS9 would trash my HD and Firewire HD, or the out of memory alerts and system crashes for no reason and generally at vital deadline times.

I had to use OS9 for a week or so last September, and it's amazing how after using OSX for 3 years that you get so used to OSX's improved productivity workflow. You get used to firing up multiple apps at the same time, that you can render and still check you email and hang on the interweb, or scan and have a DVD playing in the background and you get used to working that way.

Yet in OS9 (and before), open up Photoshop and the whole system grinds to a halt, how responsive is the OS then?? just how snappy are those windows?? :p Same goes for rendering... the machine just dies, even if you hold back on it's memory allocation to free up some for the rest of the system.

It's a way of working that I just couldn't or would want to return to now...

19. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I hear you. I ran Toast on an original iMac in OS 9. One thing it was useful for was making lots of cd coasters. Man, I wasted a lot of time trying to burn discs in that program :mad:

I miss OS 9 only for nostalgic reasons. I really like not having to deal with the restarts when one program would crash. Apple took a chance with completely changing their operating system, and they did a great job getting people to adopt it.

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I thought OS9 sucked. It was OS X that made me really start to use my mac, and inspired me to upgrade to an (at the time) top of the line dual 1GHz quicksilver from my 400MHz AGP Power Mac. I would never have done this if all I had to run was OS9.

21. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I started my current job in Mid 2000, using OS 9. When the public beta for X came out, I was the second person at work to have it (after my boss). I haven't looked back. Some things were plain easier in 9, but X has come a long way to correcting the situation. Now, I don't use 9 unless I absolutey have to, which, fortunately, is quite rare. :)

22. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

even today i use photoshop, have entourage open, and am drum scanning all at the same time in OS 9. it's not that bad ;)

i first installed OS X on my wallstreet powerbook when it was in Developer Preview 3 stage, about 6 months before the Public Beta. Didn't like it much, but saw the improvements with every revision...i only started using it exclusively when i bought one of the first batch of G4 iMacs about two and a half years ago now. it arrived on St Valentines Day ('02), ahhhh.

as for toast back then, yeah i think it was adaptec...it still beat archiving onto 240MB optical disk and 44/88/200MB SyQuest !!!! damn those were a bitch, i do not miss them i can tell ya. :)

23. iGav macrumors G3

Having app's open and swapping between them isn't that bad, although hardly dynamite, but then start opening apps and trying to do something at the same time... that's when OS9 bogs down to a halt.

Rendering in OS9 was a total nightmare, the system became so unresponsive that you ultimately couldn't do anything of any worth whilst it was rendering. I recall Cleaner actually stopping compressions if even the mouse was moved, that's something that I really don't miss.

I'd say that I'm atleast twice as productive in OSX in terms of workrate and output.

24. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I have no problem with OSX's bells and whistles (although you really should be able to turn them off on slower machines), but it would be nice if Apple made faster graphic cards more affordable to make up for it. Which I guess is the plan in the long run...so people, start living in the future ! ;)

p.s: how is expose going to perform on a 30" screen ? :eek:

25. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

You sinner! :mad:

About OS9 and Cleaner iGav... yesterday my 12" PB frezzes when I was traying to save a mp2 movie to DV format via Quick Time. I have 1GB of Ram and After Effects was open as well. I forced quit Quicktime, AF and the Finder and noting! I had to restart the computer via hard reset... under OSX!