I miss the old itunes, how do i downgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thugpoet22, Sep 12, 2006.

1. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

The new look of itunes is flashy but i dont think its productive. Well i guess if your truly trying to do something with video, but my itunes is most "tunes". So, i miss my little eye in the corner that did all the actions that i required. So when i downloaded itunes 6 and tryed to install it or downgrade, it just would not work. Im not sure why, so i figured i would post my problems here hoping that someone might help me.

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

there's still a browse button, bottom-right. you can pretty much ignore the new features, if you choose, and there you go! itunes 6!

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You might be able to do it by deleting iTunes 7 and the receipt file: <hard drive>/Library/Receipts/iTunesX.pkg

After reinstalling iTunes 6, you'd then have to reimport your music and redo your playlists. I don't know if you can keep the iTunes 7 preference files to retain your playlists and other settings...they might cause iTunes 6 to hiccup.

4. ziutek macrumors member

You might be able to force install itunes 6, if you use the program Pacifist. But I'm not sure if the older version will still.

5. andreas.b macrumors newbie

Yes, I am against the new "look" of iTunes 7 (the scrollbars, etc) but to be honest I can't say that the usage changed even a bit. You can still browse, etc. I like the new features.

6. thugpoet22 thread starter macrumors regular

The only reason why i dislike the new itunes is because it doesn't group the way it says it suppose to, I if i have one album with 24 tracks but some of the tracks have different artist so there places differently with there own album cover. I like itunes because it keeps my 9 gigs of music in in order. So, i will stick with 7 for a little while and see if i like the feel of it. But it not i will downgrade to 6

7. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm considering downgrading because they took away the ability for me to see my Shuffle's contents when it's not connected to my computer.

9. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I think this is nuts. The old interface was kludgy and inconsistent.

As for the new features, turn them off.

10. thugpoet22 thread starter macrumors regular

i can deal with the new features since i found that little eye that i was talking about. they put it on the bottom of itunes interface instead of being at the top. Im glad they upgraded, i guess i just kinda freaked out because it did have the features that i was so use to using in plain sight, or in the same place that they were in before.

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You had it, it was only a link away :)
    http://www.oldapps.com/download_iTunes_mac.php

I kind of freaked a little at first, because I couldn't find the little chapter menu button anywhere. It took a little while to think of looking in the menu bar for a menu :D

Anyway, the nasty problems with video playback seem to have been banished, even at full screen, so I'm happy.

12. audiophile42 macrumors member

OMG, thank you! I had been freaking out because the little chapter menu was gone for my audible stuff. I made a thread here, and even emailed audible. They told me that apple didn't consult with them, and flat out removed the feature from iTunes. I just happened to stumble in here. The menu's gone, but at least we can move back and forth chapter by a keystroke.

13. badhorsie777 macrumors member

Yes is does...

iTunes 7 works just like 6 in this respect - if an album has many artists, it's called a "compilation". just highlight the songs in that album (I sort by album first so everything's right next to each other), then right-click/whatever and get to the info (command-I on apple, methinks). Check the option "part of a compilation" and bam, it'll understand to file those songs as ONE album, not 12 1-song albums. Hope this helps.

14. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

iTunes 7 has been very buggy for me (on 10.3.9, PPC). If I try to do two iTMS searches in a row, the search box is no longer clickable, so I can't enter any text. To perform another search I have to quit and relaunch iTunes.

Also, after performing a search, the scroll wheel/ball doesn't work in other views until I click in them. This is new in 7, and while minor gets pretty annoying when it happens each time.

15. thugpoet22 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot, that seems to work perfect for me. I hope if others are having a similar problem, they will find this thread and get the info as well. Thanks again for all the help.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Really...I didn't know that...oh well I never seen it to miss it.

Bless

17. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

interesting site. nice to see old versions are still around when you need them...

18. twistmac macrumors member

twistmac

You could always try AguaT, and get your eye candy back.

19. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

I wouldn't wanna downgrade cause the album jukebox feature is amazing..... try doing this for the eye candy....

Code:
    http://www.macthemesforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=16777412

20. alanterra macrumors newbie

21. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Here's the general procedure for rolling back to 6 pretty much seamlessly:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2862561#post2862561