I miss Titanium on powerbooks

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by princealfie, Mar 16, 2006.

1. macrumors 68030

princealfie

Considering that alum. alloy has garnered a lot of controversy, I prefer titanium to be honest. My titanium stuff lasts longer and no dents either!

Only negs of the Tibooks are the hinge problems. Other than that, they are perfect!

2. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I'll second that... I miss the TiBooks alot too.

3. macrumors 68000

lamina

May sound stupid, but what does the TiBook look like? Can someone post a picture of one?

4. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

Titanium is considered to be a miracle metal by many but in reality it isn't that much different then aluminum as far as use in computers is concerned. One of the big reasons it was used in aeronautics is the fact that it has a very high melting point, compared to aluminum, and is thus a good choice for airframse that apporach Mach 3. Since the PowerBook doesn't, that property is wasted. There are still some small advantages to using it but the cost to manufacture titanium is much higher than aluminum.

Attached Files:

5. macrumors 601

mjstew33

[​IMG]

6. macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Here ya go....:)

apple_powerbook_g4_dvi.jpg

apple_powerbook_g4.jpg

7. macrumors 6502

The paint chipping on the borders was also an issue.

8. macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

I've never seen one in real life, but from all the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look as nice as the PB/MBP IMHO. I maen, the current casing is so simple and clean, it really is by far the nicest laptop I've ever seen. I do agree that my PowerBook casing did start to wear a bit after I'd had it around 2-2 1/2yrs... But by that time it was out of date and needed an upgrade anyway.

9. macrumors 6502

I'd love to see the Apple line move from aluminum to titanium. I think titanium versions of the current designs would look great.

10. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

well the paint chipping, as mentioned above, and the airport reception were major problems. I can still hear the cries of 'I paid $3,000 for paint chipping?' I like the aluminum 'books much better.

11. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

Also remember that while titanium is quite strong, it is not especially hard, and is thus susceptible to dents which cost more to make right due to the cost of titanium replacement parts.

Steel is much harder than titanium, and aluminum, while not harder, is cheaper.

12. macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Don't forget... the aluminum PB's and MBP's redefine the word "sexy"

13. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yeah, redefine it to something less sexy than the tibooks were. :p

the tibook really was one of apple's all time best designs. The Albooks are nice too, but they're missing something... let's call it "soul." ;)

14. macrumors 65816

ipacmm

In real life they are a lot nicer looking. I had one for 3 years and it was the best running and next to no issue Mac I have had. But the new PB & MBP's are nice, I really do enjoy the new keyboard but there was just something very classic with the Ti Books.

15. macrumors regular

the Helix

Amen...

Amen to that brutha! Although I now use a last revision 15" Al PowerBook, I still have and use my TiBook (1 ghz last revision as well). If it weren't for the higher resolution screen, and built in bluetooth and AirPort Extreme, I would have just stayed with the trusty ol' TiBook.

The TiBook is for Apple what the 930 Turbo was for Porsche.

16. macrumors member

It's kinda funny...

but I still use my TiBook almost exclusively..

Now, this would not normally be funny, except I have a brand new MacBook Pro 2.0ghz fully loaded sitting right next to it.

I don't use the MacBook at all hardly, but I just keep using the TiBook 1Ghz.

With the lack of Virtual PC, I just can't find enough value in going through the migration hassle to move to the MacBook Pro. Once I have a good Windows solution, I'm sure I'll migrate, but until then....

- Kelson

17. macrumors 601

jaw04005

The last revision to the TI line pretty much fixed the paint chipping and hinge problems. I miss the TI line also. It was very durable.

The AL PowerBooks are easily dented. I've had my 12" PowerBook dented twice by Apple service technicians trying to get the case off. Both times, the bottom case had to be replaced.

18. macrumors 68000

Peyton

Um, no offence, but wouldn't it have been smarter to just wait until the mbp would have been more useful before you bought it? It would surely have a speed bump by that time and DL DVD. I mean, seems like you like you Ti pretty good. whatever floats your boat :rolleyes:

19. macrumors 68000

lamina

My psyc prof has one of those, and it looks like the hinge for his screen is crapping out. He has to adjust it once in a while, and when he does, you can see the apple on the back of the screen flickering.

20. macrumors 604

zap2

my teacher has one, its nice but somewhat slow(he boots OS X and 9, but he has more software in OS 9 so he use that more!:eek: (and does not have tiger yet)

21. macrumors 68040

California

In terms of pure aesthetics, the Titanium Powerbook was a triumph of industrial design. It harkens back to early thirties ideas of Machine Age and streamline stylistics. They were one hunk of good looking industrial design. And they are so easy to work on and durable. A friend dropped hers out of a WINDOW two stories up and the logic board and hard drive and superdrive still worked. Amazing.

22. macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I would have to disagree. Granted, I never had a TiBook and have only used them personally a few times, but I much prefer the FF of my MBP. The hinge and little doors for the ports look awkward. The MBP/AlBook has some of the cleanest lines on a I've ever seen on a laptop.
    I do agree they seem a little colder "soul" wise than, say, an iBook.
    *hugs MBP*

23. macrumors 6502

coachingguy

TiBook owners lover their PB's

My father has owned a 667 TiBook since about 3 days after they came out. He has used that nearly daily for what six years? His only complaint, can't use DVD's. He had the hinges replaced once, the RAM is maxed out and he upgraded the HD. He's got a quad G5, 2 23" monitors connected, really a state of the art set up. He travels quite abit, his office will buy him a new laptop and has volunteered to many times. He won't upgrade til "My TiBook totally craps out!" as he often says. When he does, he'll probably go with a G4 AluBook. He has no interest in the intel books. I've rambled more than I should, the moral of the story is pretty much any TiBook owner I've known Love them to death.

Coachingguy

24. macrumors regular

the Helix

TiBook: definition of classic style.

I agree. I will never give up my TiBook. I've dropped it five times (taking it out of my backpack at Starbucks. It would always tumble on to the table top) and is still working like a charm.

No matter what, the TiBook was revolutionary in industrial design. The Al PowerBooks are living off of the pedegree of the TiBooks.

In fact, if you look carefully, there are still more ads using TiBooks as model computers than any other - even today.

25. macrumors 6502a

Shamus

I never realised the TiBooks were actually made of Titanium! :eek: I always thought it was just a cool name. But now I know...THAT IS SO COOL! :)