I moved and lost my Apple

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DJUTREO, Jan 23, 2005.

1. DJUTREO macrumors newbie

Anyone have a problem after moving their MAC ? I just moved and unpacked my MaC. it does not turn on, however it makes a constant
    tone or beep sound. Any ideas would be helpful?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Reset the power management unit (PMU) located on the motherboard next to the back-up battery. Could also be defective RAM.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

50% of all computer problems are connection issues. More so if the computer has been transported. Constant beep sounds like a hardware problem.

Open the machine and remove and reattach every cable and connector you can find, including the CPU card if yours is one of the models with a processor on a card. including the drive cables (both ends) and also remove and re-seat the RAM.

Inspect the machine for any signs of cracks, damage, or components having come adrift inside the machine. (I once had UPS drop a computer so hard that the hard drive cage ripped off and caromed around insidde the case like a pinball)

Then do the power management reset as described above. If your machine is >4 years old it may also be time for a new PRAM battery (good investment of $10)

Double check to see that the voltage switch on your power supply (should be right near where the AC plug goes in) is set positively to the correct voltage for your location.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Make sure that you haven't forgotten anything basic-- keyboard, mouse, etc. Or that you aren't pressing any keys on the keyboard when you are starting up.

And if its old, its a great excuse to upgrade! ;)

5. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

if all else fails try calling apple. They can help. :eek: