I moved this from Video

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PenguinUnit, Mar 25, 2006.

1. PenguinUnit macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2006
    I thinking about getting the new iMac fully upgraded for video editing. I use a Dell right now with Sony Screenblast and Acid for video and audio. Does iMovie and GarageBand compete with that? Does Apple have mid-level software for video that would run on the new iMac, or atleast when universal code is released?

Does the iMac have video in and if so what? Like from a DVD player using s-video for example.

I would be using the system to cut movies together. Anything else I need to know. I have about 4 years of college left and would need it for projects and other college related task.

Thanks for all the help.

P.S. one more thing, the iMac does HD so say if a blue-ray player came out I could hook it up to the iMac(that's a question)? External of course.
  2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    The iMac doesn't have Video-in as standard. You would need an external USB or FW400 device (i.e. digi-Cam with video passthrough or a dedicate conversion box).

Apple's own video editing software starts with iMovie, then Final Cut Express, topping out with Final Cut Pro (now only available as Final Cut Studio).

As you seem to know, iMovie comes as part of the iLife package, included with all new Macs - so you could check it out and upgrade if needed.

However if you're an experienced editor, you may find that iMovie is a little too restrictive and you could take a look at Final Cut Express or Pro.

All iLife 06 apps are universal. Final Cut Express is still PPC and the Universal version of Final Cut Studio is expected to be released end of this month (March).

The iMac is a decent enough machine for editing, unfortunately it's expansion options are very restricted, allowing only USB2.0 and one channel FW400, so potential dropped-frames when capturing video using Firewire for both camera and external drive. Also there's no option for FW800 or eSATA devices in the future. Personally I'd seriously consider a Powermac for the additional flexibility and upgrade options (I'm waiting for the Intel version).