I movie HD and IDVD size issues

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chris24, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Chris24 macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2006
    Are there limits to how large a movie can be in i movie HD and still burn in idvd? I realize the capacity of a normal drive is 4.7GB. It doesn't take long with Mpegs, Audio and high res. pics to go beyond 4.7gb. Can I compress? any workarounds?
  2. TechnoPagan macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2006
    With an single-layer burner, you're limited to 90 minutes at better quality. With a dual-layer burner, I think you can fit 3 to 4 hours. Don't worry about the size of the video in iMovie--everything gets compressed when it's in iDVD.
  3. Chris24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2006

So idvd is going to compress...that's what I was hoping to hear. Thank you!
  4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    4.7GB discs are actually 4.4GB of available space.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Most definitely. Don't worry if your iMovie project shows up as 30GB or so - just make sure that it's under 1 hour (best quality) or 2 hours (lesser quality) and you'll be fine.

Obviously, the longer the movie, the less room you have on the DVD for slideshows, animated menus etc but iDVD is pretty good about telling you how much room you have left to play with.
  6. DrRock macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2005
    similar question

I'm trying to finish editing a wedding, and I exported from FCP using both QuickTime Conversion, and as a QT movie. Right now, with iDVD I get a "encoding error" message and a failed burn, yet I still lose all that space on my startup disk. I've tried deleting encoded assets, and it frees up the disk space, but now I can't burn a previously encoded DVD. Does this have to do with that? The disc is considerably shorter, so I figured it might work. But it doesn't. I get the successful creation message, I see that disc is no longer blank, but I can't get the disc to read on any player, including the one in my mac. Any ideas? Do I have to delete files and free up more disc space? And is there a mac version of the PC's "defrag" and "disk cleanup" that I should be doing that might help?