i must say...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by likeavaliant, Dec 25, 2006.

1. likeavaliant macrumors regular

i got a macbook pro for christmas from my parents and i must say it's the best present i've ever received. i'm so happy with it! but we all know how awesome they are, so enough of that.

i, however, bought my parents a new computer for christmas (windows, since thats all they know...) and after setting it up for them, i must say that i am so happy i'm done using windows. upon initial setup i had to run 30+ software updates, which took about an hour to install! thats just ridiculous. i also had to manually remove all the third party software that i didnt want on the machine. that took forever as well. after many restarts i got the computer pretty much down to the way it needed to be. during all of this configuration, the machine's fans were running at tremendous speeds, sounding much like a wind tunnel. i figured once everything was set up they would slow down to normal, but they have not. they are running full blast and it's a horrible sound. i must say i am disappointed in this purchase. i should have bought them a mac mini or an iMac. they need to experience something other than the dark side.

bahumbug at micro$oft.

merry christmas, happy holidays to everybody.

2. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

3. ricksbrain macrumors regular

I see you're from Akron. I'm in Miami, but originally from Medina. I used to take my mom to tinker with macs at compusa and now at the Apple store (can't remember the newish mall's name near Cleveland). She's in her 70s and didn't take long to pick things up. Now, with her years old ibook, we videochat and she has two ipods that she works out with. Too cool.

Your parents can handle a mac. If you get the chance, get 'em a mini in the future that they can use. They'll completely thank you for it.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Merry Christmas. I hope you both end up enjoying your presents, and the time you get to share playing with them. :)

5. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I agree with you except I had over a half a gig of updates to do when I received me MBP, lol. Enjoy it and Congrats!!

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you had a slow internet connection, I could imagine that being insanely painful! I think the big difference is that, even if you clean installed 10.4.0 today on a Mac for some reason, it would only need about two reboots to get fully up to speed. The big problem with doing 30 software updates on XP is that so many things require you to reboot the computer. The height of insanity that I've seen is Adobe Acrobat on XP. First of all, why does this thing need to reboot the computer at all? Second, if there have been three uninstalled dot upgrades (like 8.0.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.3), there is no combo updater and it will actually require you to reboot the computer three times, just for Acrobat! :rolleyes: Makes you hate people! :eek: ;) :D And that's not very Christmas. :D

7. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Ahahahaha, it has been a while since I used windows, but I do remember those painful days. I switched my whole family over about 4 years ago, and they have never turned back. As a matter of fact, I was out shopping for my kiddos with my folks yeserday. My parents wondered into the Apple store and both came out with new 17" MBP's to replace their PB's. Gotta love macs...