I need a compatible USB Wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by techdude89, Oct 9, 2006.

1. techdude89 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to Macs but experenced in PCs and am having trouble finding a Wireless USB adapter for my iBook G3 which is running 10.4

I know that the Broadcom chipset is fully compatible with X.4 but i can't find a USB thumb adapter with that chipset or even one which is compatible with X.4 :eek: Please help me find an adapter, it just has to be around $50 and maybe look sorta nice ;) (i prefer buying on www.newegg.com )

Heres the router i want to pair up with the adapter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122016

Thanks in advance. :D

2. johnfmaguire macrumors newbie

belkin

Dont know exactly what u mean by chipsets etc. But I have a g4imac and couldnt fit an airport car. So I bought a belkin USB wireless adaptor for 30.00 euro prob ably 25 dollars in USA. officially not supposed to work on a MAc at all and even Applestore sell them for PC only, however they do work with Macs. . To get the correct driver you have to go to http://www.ralinktech.com/home.asp Go to 'support' and go to the Macintosh link and choose the 'USB' link and it downloads. Had to plug it in and out to get the Mac to make a new Ethernet connection, but its working fine now.
    Think it works for OS 10.3 as well as OS 10.4.

3. techdude89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that doesn't help me too much. I would like a model #. I also can't seem to navigate the orageware website to find any downloads for drivers.

By the way I am in the USA.

4. jtown macrumors 6502

If you're willing to spend that much, why don't you just get a genuine airport card? I see a few on ebay with bids around $50 (ending in the next 24 hours) and some buy-it-now prices of $70-75. Yeah, it's more expensive but you'll get better reception than a little USB dongle can provide and it can't be lost or damaged once it's installed.