I need a decent Wireless router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by harveypooka, Jan 15, 2006.

1. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    I have a Linksys WAG54G router and it's always been a bit flakey; the wireless drops fairly frequently (or has been dropping of late) and speeds can vary a lot. I think it's time for a new purchase...any Mac specific ones? Are Airport's good? Do I also need an ADSL modem to connect to the Airport?
    It needs quite a strong wireless signal, ethernet is optional as I'm the only one connected via ethernet (and wireless!) at the moment. The main priority is that everyone is my house (5) gets the signal and the people I'm living with next year get the signal. We may be living in a terraced house later this year so the option to extend the signal would be great...
  2. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    i would look at buying the wg54g i think it was, theres a linksys model that is highly moddable, which would mean you maybe able to install a bigger aerial to encahnce range

ps imo the best people are cisco then linksys (both the same company really)
  3. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    Yeah, I said earlier this is the one I've had all the problems with! Maybe I just have a dodgy router...I have no luck with routers. I think I'll check out the firmware upgrades...
  4. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    I had the Belkin 54g router and it was useless. 3 x the wireless part just died. At least belkin replaced it each time, by the third I was sick of sending it away..

Moved onto Linksys, lasted longer than the Belkin, but 1 day just gave up the ghost again. The router part worked, but the wireless was dead. Tried getting in touch with Linksys, they were useless. Took them a month to answer an email

Whilst waiting for linksys to get back to me I bought the Airport Express with iTunes. The reason I never bought one sooner was, I never released it was a wireless router, I thought it was just some novelty for moving itunes around the house? Doh.....

But the Airport Express is working fantastically. All my mac's (5 of them) see it and the 2 pc's have no problem connecting either. It's left on 18 hours a day and works great with my cable broadband connection.

Printer sharing is neat too...
  5. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    Hmmm. Our router has to be left on all the time, well, most of the time. I suppose this router hasn't been that bad as it's been on for about a year and a half non stop! But yeah, from day one the wireless has been a bit shaky. Signal up and down etc etc.
  6. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    i have a linksys router and an airport express, on oposite sides of the house linked via ethernet, i'd just get an apx and hook it to an ethernet port on the linksys.
  7. Seasought macrumors 65816

Nov 3, 2005
    I'm using the Netgear WGT624 v3 wireless router. I'm really happy with it and have had better luck with it than my previous Linksys routers. It also has the "extended range" feature that might help you out as well.

You've got a good shot of having reasonable success with most brands I'm sure, but Netgear is my current ideal choice.
  8. iggyboy2 macrumors member

Mar 13, 2005
    I have a Buffalo Airstation g54. Works like an airport base station in that it passes appletalk packets wirelessly.
  9. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    I'd recommend the Airport Extreme or Express base-stations. You can't beat them for reliability and functionality.
  10. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

May 30, 2004
    Madison, WI
    I've got the Netgeat RangeMax and it is simply amazing. I get rediculously good reception everywhere.