I need a Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Solafaa, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Hello

I am in the market for a new digital camera, i would not print anythign larger then 8 x 10 most of my pictuers i would use 4 x 6 and sometimes on tv (iDVD). I would like something very small (Ultra Compact) and very easy to carry around. I dont need much control but i would like to do some changes depending on what kind on pictuer i am taking. I would like to hear from you on which modle do you think most fits me.

Thanks

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

3. ozimax macrumors member

ozimax

Bovine is right, www.dpreview.com is THE definitive site for digicams, Max

P.S. Most of the better brands are all quite good I perceive, personally I always stick to either Sony or Canon, their lens quality (hence picture quality) is topnotch although they are expensive. You get what you pay for.

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

if money is no object, get a sony t1
    ive used one and theyre incredible and literally thinner than an ipod 3g! but what i have is an hp photosmart 735. i dont know a url tho, but its been around for a while and is 3.2mp with a 3x optical zoom and can usually be had for around 180 bucks. takes great quality pics but i dont have any to post since im not on my main computer. :(

7. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

If money is a concern, the sony cybershot-u is a great camera for us cheapskates. It's very small and durable to boot. I've dropped mine countless times, and it still takes good pictures. I never print pictures, but 2MP is plenty for iPhoto and desktop pictures. The front of the camera covers the lens, keeping it safe in the dangerous world of your pocket. When you flip it open, startup time is about one second.. great for stupid party pictures.

8. kant macrumors 6502

You really want to look at www.steves-digicams.com for a camera review site. From a cursory glance at the dpreview site, steve's has it beat hands down. On the other hand, it is nice when you can compare multiple reviews on an item.

And I love my samsung Digimax 430. 4mp, auto settings but with a nice manual setting, video w/ sound at 320x240 or 640x480 and 15fps or 30fps max size limited only by the size of the memory card. That latter is rare; most cameras limit the movie mode to a short time - 30sec to 2 mins. regardless of space available.

9. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I love my Canon S410. Quick, small, and powerful! I call it my pocket rocket. :D

10. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

I'm also looking for a camera. But I need one with an SD card (So I can then slip that into my Palm T3) - which limits my options. So far the Nikon cool pix 4200 at 4 mega pixels looks pretty good.

I am looking for small to fit in my pocket as well as SD and at least 4mp.

Or should I go up to 5? Is there really a noticible difference?

Does anyone have any other camera suggestions? I like the size of the Sony and Canons- but they don't use SD cards.

11. AIen macrumors newbie

I'm also in the market for a new digital camera. Anyone know if any of the big companies will come up with a bluetooth digicam? I found one but it's by some no-name company and doesn't seem that attractive to me. Also I read something about memory cards having Bluetooth in it? Any of you experts know anything about it?

12. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

There are several Canon models that use the SD cards, including some super-small ones. I absolutely love my S400 (which uses compactflash), especially for outdoor shots.

--D

13. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

check out the pentax optio S (from my previous post) it uses an SD card. it takes excelent pictures at 3.2 megapixels and the newer versions S4 and S4i have 4 megapixels

as for the megapixel debate b/w 4 and 5 i think neither are good, both WAY too big. . . unless you are going to be making poster size prints. my optio S is 3.2 megapixle, but i size the pictures down so they take up less space. the quality is still excelent even though i take roughtly 1mega pixle pictures (at least when you are printing standard size pictures. . . id say youd need more if you are going to be printing larger than 4x6 ish )

14. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

You can get an awesome deal on a Canon Powershot A60 right now. Check out amazon. I love mine. The price was awesome.

15. dejaentendu macrumors newbie

Can I suggest another review site? The Digital Camera Resource Page. It's the one I prefer for my camera information.

I had a Pentax Optio S for about a month and sold it on eBay because I was disappointed in the photo quality. Now I have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-V1 that I couldn't be more happy with. It's probably not right for you, though, since it's not nearly as compact as, say, the Optio S.

16. plus_c macrumors member

I have a Nikon Coolpix 2200. From the other digital cameras I've seen, it's not the smallest, but far from large. It takes pretty good photos, and so far I've found it to be a pretty flexible camera. Only 2MP...but then, the OP said he was only going to print up to 4x6, so it would be...acceptable.

I'm a broke college student, so cost was a major deciding factor. The $30 price difference between the Coolpix and the Canon A60 ($149 vs $179 at my local Ritz Camera) tipped the balance in favor of the Coolpix. With 128MB SD card and reader combo package, my total cost came out to just over $200.

If you're looking for a budget setup...mine works pretty well.

Good luck, and show us some photos!

17. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

This is something that's been proposed in order to make the actual picture-taking apparatus even smaller; have the camera send info to a separate unit, which would then record the info. Seems to be more of theoretical benefit than actual; you'd still have to lug along the recording apparatus. I suppose you could have some James Bond kind of thing going with a pen camera and some belt-clip thingy recording, but it's hard to see the broad application.

18. federalists macrumors member

i just got a canon sd110 from amazon. good deal and an awesome camera. i would strongly suggest going for a canon SD model. if you need more pixels, go with the sd410. they have secure digital card slots, and they're small!

19. dcslacker macrumors member

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/

i recommend this site in addition to the others as a resource. i would also second other ppl's mentions for either a sony or a canon. i personally have the sony dsc-v1 and love it. it has prosumer features, nightshot capability, and can shoot video segments unrestricted to a set time, only limited to the size of the memory card. it's a little boxy, but not an issue for me. the sony t-1 is cool, but i've heard that the flash is weak, and because it's so thin, you really wouldn't be able to stand it up by itself for a timer shot, for instance. sony memory also tends to be a little pricey. i think canons tend to have more accessories available. both will have good glass.

20. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

well i got a Minolta Dimage x20.......it's a GREAT camara!..i'm very surprised with it......the quality it's amazing!

check it out..............and even if it's 2 megapixels.........the lens is glass..not firber plastic...so the quality is just a little bit more than a 3 megapixel cam.

21. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

Glass makes that much of a difference? I am probably going to get the 5mp NIkon 5200- it also has a glass lens.

22. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

The Minolta's are funky looking cameras. From what I have seen they have some high praise. I had a fuji camera and I won't be buying another Fuji. I am impressed with the Olympus cameras with SD cards. My friend hooked up her camera to use iPhoto and it was amazing how much data was on that little card. It took forever to download all 450 photos. Impressive cards!

23. AIen macrumors newbie

SONY Cybershot DSCT1
    or....
    Cannon Powershot 500

Both don't use SD! damn it..

24. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

well let me tell ya..........it does look weird at the begining..........you kindda get used to it aafter a while...., but the quality of the pics is amazing......

i was going to buy a Sony Cybershot PC72, (4 megapixels), but let me tell you something man, when i was at the store the sells man started to test some different camaras foranother customer.........and when he took a sample pic of the Cybershot and a sample pic of the minolta, i inmediatly switched.......the quality is just so superior to the Sony one.............and he explained to me right away, that the difference is because of the lens being fiber plastic and glass

old Sony camaras had Glass lenses, but recently they've been using fiber plastic to save some money, but on the same time the loose some quality. Poeple won't notice this because sony is such a recognizable brand that people "blindly" trust Sony corp. but that's the real truth!

and even when my cam is only 2 megapixels, anad the sony was 4, i preffered the Minolta because of quality, and trust me i don't regret it a bit! :D

Nikon camaras are great too and they have glass lenses.

25. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

I ended up buying the Nikon Cool Pix 5200 as they didnt sell the Minoltas at Best Buy- plus this gives me 30fps quicktime movies.

So far I like it- but still having overblown flash problems (The subjects standing 3 feet away or are very white/over exposed) in dark rooms.