Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
I need suggestions/pictures/links towards glass top desks please! Anything- corner desks, wall-mount, regular. Please help! Thank you!:D

wonga1127

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
Wishing for a magic bus.

Attachments

• 77772032665G.GIF
    77772032665G.GIF
    99.8 KB · Views: 138

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
imacintel said:
OMGWTFOMFGBBQ?

THAT PRICE IS FRIKIN RIDICULOUS!!!!!

And I bet they would be happy to throw in that Artemide Tolomeo Light for another $400 or about. Seriously though, for decent executive furniture (not 'disposable' home use stuff), the price is not out of line.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
I am thinking a corner ("L" shaped) desk in the $100-200 price range, and I want it to be silver with a clear top. I seem to find ones with only tinted/frosted tops. Can someone help me find some?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
kildraik said:
I am thinking a corner ("L" shaped) desk in the $100-200 price range, and I want it to be silver with a clear top. I seem to find ones with only tinted/frosted tops. Can someone help me find some?

You're about 4 years too late.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I have a glass desk I paid $149 for, and it's pretty large. I'm very happy.

Link:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...tId=12172&langId=-1&chosenPartNumber=20022845

From Ikea. "Granas". They call it a dining table, but it has a nice metal wire shelf about 3" under the glass, where I store a bunch of stuff (including my lappy!). Dimensions: Length: 59" Width: 30 3/4" Height: 29 1/2".

I've had it for 1 year so far, and I'm very satisfied.

It is not however, L-shaped.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
dvdh said:
And I bet they would be happy to throw in that Artemide Tolomeo Light for another $400 or about. Seriously though, for decent executive furniture (not 'disposable' home use stuff), the price is not out of line.

yes it is but people will pay. the thing that i cant understand is why isnt there something that stylish but a fraction of the cost. its not the materials and labor. and design, well, im sure something just as nice can come from even a student in design. its funny how you cant find an honest deal anymore.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Staples carries a number of decent-looking glass desks (a whole lot better than the garbage wood desks they stock).

I went with the Z-Line Galaxy desk for my G5. They had several other glass desks, but that one seemed to have the best balance of size, price, and stability. Best feature is that is has a nice, thick rim around the edge that ISN'T glass--it's smooth, rounded plastic of some sort. This is much less cold when you lean on it, and it keeps you from chipping up the glass or hurting yourself if you bump it.

It comes with a monitor stand, but I just didn't put it on mine, since the Cinema Display takes up essentially zero desk space anyway, and it would have been too high up with that stand regardless. My sole complaint about it is that the keyboard tray isn't quite wide enough to accomodate my mousepad and older Apple keyboard. I think were I to be using the newer, "borderless" keyboard that came with my G5 and a mousepad that was rectangular instead of oval, it'd be ok.

It's $150 now, but I got it on sale for $100. Also, one other advantage of Staples is that for like $20 you can get their furniture coverage plan, which includes accidental damage and even wear-and-tear, so if you're a stickler for appearance and scratch up the glass, or you break it, they'll replace it.

This link should work:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...0051&langId=-1&productId=121072&cmArea=SEARCH

(Side note: I actually wanted to get a nice locally-made, or at least US-made wood desk, but they simply do not make wood desks in the size I want that will accomodate the G5 case. I looked EVERYWHERE.)

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
beatle888 said:
http://www.modernwoodworks.com/desk_page/desk.html[/URL] . . . .(and from another post): yes it is but people will pay. the thing that i cant understand is why isnt there something that stylish but a fraction of the cost. its not the materials and labor. and design, well, im sure something just as nice can come from even a student in design. its funny how you cant find an honest deal anymore.

I would just like to point out something (with absolutely no criticism to beatle888). In defense of high furniture prices when low cost alternative are available, the first desk listed there is a copy of a Eames design that is being produced without authorization. The authentic, licensed piece, produced by Herman Miller, would likely cost in the order of 4 to 5 times as much.

Yes, that does seem like an awfully high price to pay for something when one could buy essentially the same thing for less, but it is no different ethically than buying a piece of bootleg software from some street vendor (or for that matter, just downloading it.) Considerable time was put into the design of the product, developing the manufacturing processes and getting it to market. When another company (usually in some other country (ies) . . . which I won't name) simply steals the design, copies the already refined manufacturing process, they can make a knock-off (or bootleg) at a reduced cost that does not accurately reflect the true value of the authentic piece. Purchasing these items (whether you agree with it or not) is in fact theft (of intellectual property).

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
I don't have a link, but Z-line makes a bunch of glass desks.

I have 2 and they are well built but I think they're annoying now because I don't like the glass style anymore...haa.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
markkk! said:
I don't have a link, but Z-line makes a bunch of glass desks.

I have 2 and they are well built but I think they're annoying now because I don't like the glass style anymore...haa.

I got a Z-Line from Staples:
Snapshot 2006-06.jpg

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
2 BAD things about glass deks/tables:

A) If not crafted very stylishly, they look exactly like what they are.....a thick, dangerous piece of cheap glass on top of 2 cheap legs/pedestals/bases.......

http://www.commercialfurnituredirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_42&products_id=201
a prime example :p......I would not give them $43.50 for this ugly P.O.S., let alone $4,350.00

It would have been spectacular with rounded corners and rolled or beveled edges and some trim that matched the design of them center beam though......

B) Dust collects AND shows EXTREMELY badly on glass......as do finger/palm/hand prints, hair, food, paper, staples, etc etc.....

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
SmurfBoxMasta said:
B) Dust collects AND shows EXTREMELY badly on glass......as do finger/palm/hand prints, hair, food, paper, staples, etc etc.....
Oh, does dust ever. There is an upside to this, though--it encourages you to keep your table clean. What you can't see doesn't bother you, but since the dust is so visible it makes you want to dust more frequently.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I couldn't deal with seeing all the crap under my desk. Unless you have very good cable management (and to quote another thread I use posted in, if you type naked :D ) I couldn't see it as being a good idea. Having said that I am supremely slobbish and do have a habit of letting crap pile up under my L-shaped, decidedly opaque desk. Maybe others are slightly more homeofficeproud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.