I need a great desk

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whoooaaahhhh, Sep 5, 2006.

1. whoooaaahhhh macrumors member

whoooaaahhhh

I just got a beast of a setup with my new mac pro and its Dual 23" Apple Cinema Displays. But now I need a good desk. Also, I need to be able to fit speakers on this as well. Preferrably on the sides of the monitors. Basically what I'm looking at is any advice from people who are in video or people who use a similar setup!

Word.

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

3. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Hell yes you need a great desk!!!! Are you planning on taking over the known world with that setup?

4. whoooaaahhhh thread starter macrumors member

whoooaaahhhh

Actually, yes.

5. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

IKEA Jerker

I think this version is better than the multiple level Jerker because you get more main level surface area with this design. Tonnes of desk space at a ridiculously cheap price.

6. stylum macrumors member

7. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

8. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I have an IKEA Jerker and I love it. It's definitely the best desk I've purchased so far. It's very wide and has plenty of depth.

9. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I have the 63" Jerker. GF has the shorter one but with the 2 shelves. It is a nice desk. I like mine because it is longer. There's this other desk and I wish I could remember the name of it, and I don't see it listed on IKEA's site, but I was there just a couple weeks ago. Right when you went up the escalators one of the first setups was an office and the desks were amazing. It had a similar setup like with the Galant Left and Right desks so you could have two side by side that mirror each other. But the design was much more elegant than the crap Galant. Whatever it is I hope they didn't remove it from the catalog because my GF and I were thinking of selling our desks and each getting one of them because they looked so darn cool together.

10. jne381 macrumors regular

Like a few other people have already mentioned, the Ikea JERKER is a great desk. I've have had mine for 4 years and it is awesome. It has tons of space and is solid.

11. olemed macrumors member

olemed

After much contemplation I went with the Anthro console unit, my ultimate dream desk - just ordered on Tuesday, should arrive in about 10 days.

http://www.anthro.com/ppage.aspx?pmid=18

The desks are not cheap but they are worth it (a friend has it and it's awesome!) It's not particle board, it's really solid and with a lifetime warranty to boot. They are having an awesome April sale, 35% off almost everything. I needed an ergonomic keyboard shelf because of an ailing wrist/hand and this fit the bill. It's not stylish but it's very functional. Can't wait for it to arrive.

12. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

IMHO
    I have always used a kitchen counter top screwed into the walls
    From there, You can add levels as you please on either side and as wide as you want them to be. :)
    I love desk space, not drawers, and this setup really really emphasizes "space" since you can get kitchen counter tops as long as all outside.

13. Counter macrumors 6502

I like to keep my main working desk super simple. Can't do with wheels, multi stages, keyboard pull outs aaaaaahhh. Getting an Ikea Galant desk in the next few days. This one...

Link

With the T-leg cos I think it makes it look less like a pasting table. :D

Edit:

Ikea Galant's of some shape or form are very popular.....

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=ikea+galant

...which is how I found out about them.

14. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

15. paulpratt macrumors newbie