I Need A Hug..........

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacRy, Aug 10, 2005.

1. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

My iBook has gone back to Apple for repair (for the third bloody time!) and my new 15" PowerBook that I recently convinced my boss to buy me is going to take ten days to arrive apparently so I am having to use a......i'm sorry this is a little emotional for me.....a.....Win....Win.....Windows laptop....*sob*

I didn't realise just how much I dislike using Windows until I came back to it after such a long time away. I'm no anti-Microsoft Mac zealot but Windows really does seem a little crass and shoddy compared to OSX. Not only that but the laptop i'm using has a fan so loud that when it kicks in (at what seems like every five minutes) small animals come bursting out of hedgerows and my neighbours thump on the walls.

I also feel a little bit treacherous and deviant coming on a Mac forum with a Wintel machine :)

SOmeone say something nice to me and tell me it's all going to be ok......

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

at least you'll be getting your macs back... and maybe you'll appreciate them just a little bit more :D

3. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I feel your pain.... my iBook will be going out today (if that friggin' box ever arrives :mad: ) to be repaired under the logic board plan. I hope they fix it once and for all this time because this is my third logic board.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Think of it this way, at least you know better now, using a Windows machine is temporary, your boss not only lets you use a Mac, but got you a 15" PB :eek: , and you can look forward to when you have your babies back. Curious, what happened to your iBook?

5. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

6. drison macrumors regular

drison

I agree, I am so jealous of people that get to use Macs at their workplace. It's a sea of dells here. :(
    -Dave

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Nice to you and it's all going to be OK.

I had my iBook 3 weeks away from me and now I love it more than before, really, that way I know how great I feel being a Mac-head.

3 weeks without exposé :eek: , search on the flight, iTunes (thanks Steve for the iPod), iPhoto (damn, 3 weeks :eek: ), Internet on the go (via Bluetooth).

it's all going to be OK.

8. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Everyone in my class has an Apple laptop except for one guy who insisted that PCs were better. Even when taking notes in class in Word the fans kick in... and everyone in the room chortles from behind their whisper quiet 'Books ;)

9. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

Yeah I am lucky to be the only person in an 85 strong workforce that uses a Mac. Funny because my boss doesn't see them as real computers and takes every opportunity to rubbish them. Like I tell him 'You keep buying them!' :)

The screen went really dim and flickered at random so I had it returned and they replaced the logic board. The problem still persisted so they recently swapped the LCD and sent it back to me. Still had the same problem though and also the cursor started randomly jumping all over the screen. Then it started locking up or switching itself off for no reason. Then it wouldn't turn on so I gave it a little shake and heard a really alarming rattle from inside (switched on after that) which wasn't there when I sent it away to Apple. The Applecare guy said to give it one more chance for repair and then speak to Customer Care about a replacement if it is not fixed this time.

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Take hope: We sent in my wife's iBook last Friday to AppleCare and it came back repaired yesterday (Tuesday). Not bad.
    X

11. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

I have to say that the last time I sent it in they turned it round in about three days which was most impressive. The time before that was very very frustrating because Apple hadn't started the notebook collection program then so I had to drive fifty miles to the nearest authorised repairer - so a total of 200 miles driven by me for them not to have fixed the problem. Made me wonder why I had paid £200 for Applecare in the first place!

12. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

I wish my iBook was "whisper quiet." The hard drive on this bloody thing is so loud that there have been times when I've had to put it away in small, quiet classrooms because I was so conscious of the noise being emitted from it. The weird thing is that it has been loud as all get out since I got it in June of '01. Oh well, I get to borrow a new PB from the school for this semester, so that's cool :D

13. dxm113 macrumors member

At work I use AutoCAD extensively, and my XEON workstation sounds like a rocketship . . .

. . . oh yeah, I love it when it randomly gives me a blue screen and I lose parts of drawings. (thank god for auto save every 3 mins)

i love windows :rolleyes:

14. iGav macrumors G3

So have Apple started the laptop collection program again?

When I called them in April/May time I was told that they no longer picked up laptops and that I had to take it in to either an AppleStore or an Authorised Repair Centre.

But up until then (last 5 years atleast) Apple had always collected my PowerBooks when they needed repair.

15. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

It was around about that time that I took it in the first time iGav. They told me that they had just started it up again when they had it in a few weeks ago. So they bloody should too I reckon! For an additional £200 I don't expect to have to ferry it around for repairs when every other manufacturer i've dealt with picks up and returns their hardware ) Dell, HP, Fujitsu-Siemens, Toshiba etc.). The first repair centre I took it to was terrible too. They had it for over three weeks and I had to constantly chase them about it to make sure that something was being done as they never returned my calls or kept me up to date.

16. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

Ahhhh, that made me feel all warm inside.....my pants......no wait......i've had an accident....

17. iGav macrumors G3

This sounds promising... my PowerBook needs to go in for a replacement screen, logic board and secondary fan, it's so much more convenient having them pick it up and return it a few days later rather than having to take it in, especially when you have to deal with the chumps at the genius bar. :rolleyes:

Anyway... you're only on your 3rd repair... believe me, that's nothing. ;) :eek: :rolleyes:

18. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

Dude what have you been doing to your PowerBook?? Or is it just shoddy Apple build quality?

19. iGav macrumors G3

there's your answer. ;)

20. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

I'm glad that it's not just me that thinks that. I fear saying something anti-Apple as you tend to get shot down in flames and have them put out with a cricket bat for such blasphemy.

So far I have purchased an iMac with a defective screen, an iBook with the problems listed above, an iPod with a faulty headphone socket and borrowed a 12" PowerBook with a dicky catch. Not too great really.

21. Lau Guest

iGav, I just had to send mine in, and I got them to pick it up after many a firmly worded phone call. UPS picked it up on Friday, and I had it back with me on Tuesday morning. Which is a pretty good service. Certainly better than my local authorised centre's quote of 6 weeks! So glad I made a fuss. Shame my new screen's got one little blue stuck pixel though :(

Anyway, MacRy, hang in there. It'll be back before you know it, and you'll appreciate it so much once you get it back. I hated using a PC so much I stopped going on the net for the weekend, and I'm so grateful to have it back I'm not sure I care about the stuck pixel.

22. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

This is really starting to piss me off now......every time I open up this laptop and it stops hibernating it takes an absolute age to connect to my wireless network. Then when it does it pops up with a really annoying message saying that it's connected that won't go away until I click on it!! I KNOW IT'S CONNECTED YOU ARSEHOLE BECAUSE THERE'S A LITTLE ICON THERE THAT INDICATES THIS!!!!

Make it stop......please make it stop........*sob*

Attached Files:

23. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The local apple store had to replace my iBook 3 times within 18 days of me purchasing it, luckily the third one worked and has been trouble free for nearly 1.5 years... I feel your pain, sorry you had to go thru it!

*finds wood to knock on*

Ed

24. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

My iBook is back and works lovely now :) Had the top of the case swapped out along with some cables inside. No more screen flickering and no more jumpy cursor. I'm so happy that I can ditch my Windows laptop :)