I Need A Humidifier, Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Jan 26, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I recently bought a cool mist humidifier and it's way too loud, and I don't even know if it's workin' pproperly. Is there supposed to be any mist comin' out of the machine or just air? Mine just shoots out cool air.

I usually just check Amazon for reviews on products and such, but apparentely reviews on humidifiers are bare, which I find suprising. You can usually find popular items for any category. So I'm asking this forum if they have any suggestions. I want a cool mist one, with a quiet setting for a small room, very basic I guess. I guess around $50 would be around my range, but cheaper is always better. Any suggestions would be great, thanks guys.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you not always going to see mist going in the area but it shooting off cold area is a clear sign that it is working. The air is colder because some of the heat engery was lost turning the water in to vapor form.

Another way to tell if it working is look how much water it uses each day.

3. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I personally dislike mist humidifiers. They always leave a puddle under and around wherever they are. I recently bought this honeywell humidifier from walmart. It looks like a dell tower and is about as sloppily designed as one too, but at least it is quiet and works well.

What I would recommend generally is that you get something that is easy to clean, does not require a filter (or has some special filter that will last), and switches off when the air moisture level reaches a certain point. I own two honeywell humidifiers and, frankly, I think they're s**t, but they work well enough.

Good luck getting one. Up here the air is so dry that if you don't use one you get nose bleeds all day.

YT

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The auto shutoff at some level is a big deal for me.

When my son was really young we'd use a real cheap humidifier and the humidity level would get so high it would become a mold/mildew generator and he'd actually get worse. I bought a digital hygrometer and a new humidifier with a sensor so I could keep it closer to 40-45%. Much better.

B

5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be sure to look out for those features.

6. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

You should also consider how much air/how many rooms require the humidifier. The air will feel noticeably cooler, which may or may not be desirable this time of year. If you get a floor model, make sure you place it in a location which can circulate the air adequately. For about a year or two, we had a floor model which was placed at the base of the stairs. It would humidify the living room, dining room, and even the upstairs.

However, the cool air was too much. When we had our furnace replaced, I had a humidifier installed on the furnace itself. Now we have decent humidity and it feels warmer. Moist air has a tendency to "hold onto" heat.

7. dadsp33k macrumors regular

dadsp33k

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You've got a choice of two different kinds of humidifiers. One is the spray mist variety, the other is evaporative. The latter are going to be much quieter (just a fan, which sucks air across a sponge). They don't puddle, but as others have pointed out, they cool the air considerably. The spray mist kind can warm the water first.