I need a Java complier and interpreter for Mac OS X for my college class

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by King Cobra, Sep 2, 2003.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

I tried download.cnet.com, shareware.com, and versiontracker.com, but none of them seemed to have what I wanted. No, I do not have my Jaguar Developer Tools CD. I know that would have made things much easier.

So where can I get a Java complier/interpreter for OS X?

2. Farside161 macrumors member

if you are regesterted on ADC you can download the dev tools that whould include a java complier.

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

ADC registration is free, btw. A JVM is included with the OS.

4. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Developer Tools should be included with OS X ... somewhere on your hard drive or install CD. I have not tried these yet. I've been using CodeWarrior Learning Ed. for a month or so. It includes a Java compiler.

5. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I am using Eclipse by IBM for my Internet Programming class. Eclipse can do java servlets all the way to full blown java apps.

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Eclipse kicks ass, but it's really slow on OSX.

7. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Java Decompiler

You can also find a Java Decompiler on VersionTracker.com if you like.

Assignment: make an application that does the same thing as this one...

:D :D :D

8. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

Farside161 and Catfish, I am not registering to ADC unless it is a last result. The agreement and requirements to sign up are well beyond what I feel is necessary.

-->"A JVM is included with the OS." (Catfish)

I don't understand. JVM?

bobindashadows, I know, I found a few decompilers, not what I need.

Pismo, I downloaded the heavy 63MB file for Eclipse, but I got an expansion error, as well as only a plugins folder inside the Eclipse folder. (Attachment below)

My class heavily relies on JGrasp, which is PC. What is the closest Mac alternative?

9. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

you can sign up for free ADC membership and still download the developer tools for free, as i did.

10. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

You downloaded the wrong version. I'm currently using 2.1.1 and it's stable. Here is a direct link to download Eclipse SDK 2.1.1

Eclipse

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I use jGrasp all the time on Mac OS X and it works quite well.

JVM is Java Virtual Machine, which is the language interpreter and environment for Java applications and applets.

As far as the Stuffit error goes, are they using a newer version of Stuffit than you are. It's up to 7.0.3 now.

12. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

hey, son

i just explained to another poster in another thread about how sun is not too good with copilers on macs

we all have to go over there and kick some booty and tell sun not to treat us mac types like second class citizens

my advice...use a pc or get one for java coding until then

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There's always the jikes compiler from IBM which is already part of Mac OS X.

I'm not sure why you think that the Sun compiler is any worse on Mac OS X though. The only issue is that Apple has to port it instead of Sun, which pleases Apple as it keeps everyone out of their business.

15. Santiago macrumors regular

You really should sign up for a free ADC account and download the latest version of the developer tools. They're very good stuff and completely free. And, once Panther comes out, you'll have access to Xcode instead of Project Builder, which is even better.

16. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I've found that the NetBeans IDE works really well, at least for me. I have done my Java homework using that. You can download it for free at www.netbeans.org

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it could very well be the bias of the java teacher i have but he's not too hip on macs and java programming

programming and all the directions it takes you still requires a pc most of the time and though unfortunate, it seems to be the way it is these days

...but i do remember the day when most home computer owners had an apple II and apple was pretty much the word for home computer...but these days when people think of computers, bill gates comes to mind all too often

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It may be the instructor. I had one who talked about Java portability in terms of Windows. "Yessir, that's extremely portable when your product only runs on one operating system." :rolleyes:

Java Developer's Journal has been quite happy with Mac OS X development. The only thing everyone wishes is that Mac OS X supported server-side Java out of the box--which it will with Panther's inclusion of JBoss.

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

not only on small points in java, but everywhere else in computing...do you think we will ever keep up step for step with the pc world when it comes to software?

steve jobs and steve wozniak get their due as innovators, and pc magazines generally like mac gear in reviews, and nobody on the pc side says anything really bad about office in the mac version

we are 3-5 percent of the market, but it's an increasingly larger market and we are still a lot of people more than happy to shell out money for new software titles

i was just so pissed that 1.4.1 was not ready for mac yet when i went to java class...since java is such a dynamic, and many say very difficult language to learn, having the latest compiler is a must

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Step for step? That's probably not something that's going to happen. I'm not even sure I want that. We'd have to go backwards for a few things.

As far as Java 1.4.1 on Macintosh, the trouble was mostly Apple. They were trying to wring more performance from Java (1.3.1 and below) by making it more native. It took much longer to update 1.3.1 to 1.4.0 because of it. They've learned their lesson but we still don't have 1.4.2 or even 1.4.1_02.