I need a job! Any out there?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DreaminDirector, Jun 26, 2003.

1. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

The design industry is in the crapper and I want to just pack my things and head off to New York. Anyone know of any positions as a Art Director or a Copywriter out there in the Big Apple?

Thanks all!

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

try checking monster.com or careerbuilder.com......

3. DreaminDirector thread starter macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Yeah, I've tried:

Monster.com
    Careerbuilder.com
    newyork.craigslist.org
    entertainmentcareers.com
    creativehotlist.com
    NY Times classifieds
    Hotjobs.com

At this point, I'm just looking for some inside information that anyone in the industry might have....

4. SubGothius macrumors member

F*ck That Job!

The whole tech sector (from development to design) job market is in the crapper, and the few places that are actually hiring are taking advantage of the applicant-pool glut by demanding vast expanses of experience, skill, dedication and sacrifice in return for ridiculously little (if any) pay.

In light of this situation, someone went and launched F*ck That Job! to document the worst offenders for our incredulous amusement.

FWIW, a friend who recently moved to San Diego said employers aplenty seem to be hiring there, but that might just be crap retail/service sector positions...

5. DreaminDirector thread starter macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

That is an awesome website! I just spent about a half hour going through all of those jobs. Thanks for the laugh, SubGothius. Puts a bright spot in my unemployed existence.

Well, at least I'm not the only one out of work. Me and 9 million other designers....

6. SubGothius macrumors member

Singin' the Outta Work Techie Blues...

...and outta work programmers, and DBAs, and Webmasters like me, and... Okay, pardon me for going off on a rant here, ignore it if you like, but here's my story:

<rant>I was the corporate Webmaster at an independent regional ISP for nearly 3 years up until last October, a week after my birthday, when the co's Prez laid off the entire Business Services (i.e., sundry hosting services) division, including me. Nevermind that my job had little-to-nothing to do with said "Business Services" or its clients by that point, and everything to do with maintaining and developing the ISP's own various public and intranet websites, and developing brand-new public and subscribers-only sites to replace the ISP's existing, aging public site (generally regarded as obsolete, staid, and even downright ugly) that I'd inherited, which in the meantime I was just propping up, and extensively cleaning up in preparation for content migration to the new site. By then, I'd been in almost every dep't of the company, org.-tree-wise, but doing the exact same job the whole time, and my position just happened to sit on the Biz Servs branch of the org. tree when that particular branch abruptly got lopped off.

Anywho, despite having my time and attention divided between eleventy-dozen different demands from various staff in just about every department (I also acted as senior hosting-client support Tech, as well as tech advisor to just about every dep't in sundry ways), I was working on developing yet another new-site proposal from scratch at the time. The Prez had commissioned this new proposal when I was only a week away from going live with another new-site proposal that I'd already developed (under similarly distracting conditions), painstakingly balanced for excellent usability and cross-browser/-platform compatibility as well as completely distinctive aesthetic appeal consistent with the established "corporate identity", and which had been going over quite well with great enthusiasm and encouragement from all management and staff. But the Prez and a VP got cold feet about that proposal at the last possible minute, and they wanted to see a different "alternative" to the design I'd already developed; they wanted something more "exciting" with "stuff happening" and all kinds of other ego-gratifying concerns that would be irrelevant and even distracting to the site's actual intended end-users.

Then a few weeks later, all of a sudden, I and my colleagues were outta our jobs, and I didn't have to my demonstrable credit either one of those proposals for the ISP's new site (which prospective professional "feather in my cap" was the main reason I'd been sticking around there to begin with -- it sure wasn't the lousy pay); all I had to point to as an example of "my work" was my maintenance and extensive "tidying up" and extension of the ugly old site, which recently did get replaced anyway with something several of the remaining "skeleton crew" staff apparently managed to cobble together in spare moments here and there (tho' I must admit it's a damn site, pardon the pun, better than the old site).</rant>

I've been outta work since then, first living off my paltry savings up to that point, and then my remaining credit balances, and lately, finally swallowed my pride and filed for unemployment, but that'll run out pretty soon ($200/wk doesn't go very far anyway, barely keeps my nostrils above water). I've been trying to drum up a freelance Webdev/Mac Guru clientele with very little success, and I'm dreading having to bite the bullet and get some shiznit day job in retail/service sector wage slavery, just to put food in my mouth and keep the roof over my head. But it may well come down to that if things don't start panning out otherwise reeeal soon. Thank ghods at least I don't have a family to support yet (tho' a girlfriend would sure be nice to know right about now... :).

Anyway, glad you dug and got some amusement outta the FTJ site; yeh, it's a real maroon... :D

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I just started an Art Director gig about a month ago here in New Orleans. U are right, the market is saturated with designers & those who claim to be "designers," it's very competitive. What did help me land this job was freelancing & A LOT of networking & good communication with the agency for whom I am currently working.

U should talk to evoluzione. He's a New Yorker, and seems to know a bunch of people in the creative industry. ;)

8. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Which leads me to comment:

If you're gonna try for a job and ask people to recommend you, for goodness sake's, don't test their reputations!

post some samples! That way if you suck, we'll tell you and let you know you're hopeless and to get into another line of work.

if you're the second coming of David Carson, maybe we have some connections. Eh?

I surely wouldn't recommend someone who's asking for a job on a mac forum... unless they show me some goods. :D

bring it on stallion!

9. DreaminDirector thread starter macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Oh God no, I wouldn't ask for recommendations. Sorry if it sounded like that. My thoughts were that alot of the creative people are usually the mac-using type. And if they are in the field and they hear of an art director or copywriter's position opening up, let me know so I can send my book over there. I'm just trying to network with some people and what better place than here.

I have a website with some of my older stuff ( which my next project will be to update my online portfolio....). Just click on my little web icon below. I also need to get a really URL too. None of this earthlink crap anymore....

So go for it MoxieMike. I'd love to hear some feedback on the work.

And SubGothius, that rant was well deserved. Maybe we should start a rant thread? On second thought, maybe not....It just might get too depressing...

Also eyelikeart, thanks for the info. I'll PM evoluzione after this...

P.s. - I'm actually not the second coming of david carson. I'm more of an advertising art director/copywriter, than a graphics guy.

10. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Well, i looked at your stuff-- lemme know this: is it all student work? Do you have any work experience? Internship experience?

if not.... you're NEVER gonna grab an AD job in NYC no matter what your talent level.

I didn't see any real world experience on your resumé... so i'm assuming you're gonna have to start low-- probably production artist/assistant. Maybe even doing production for a print shop. Like eye did.

The only way you're gonna be an AD is if you go to a small market town and get a job at a small agency. Even then it might take some more experience.

Also, if you're gonna try and be an AD, you're gonna need some logos in your book, some brochure collateral to go along with the ads and the direct mail, some web design, etc etc.

you need to round out your book quite a bit. It's good.... but it doesn't have a lot of variety.

Just my .02. Keep working hard and maybe after a year or two, you'll be the AD for a top NYC firm... but start small and work your way up. You'll be happy you did-- you'll learn so much from working with an AD rather than jumping into an AD position.

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Pretty much yeah. I spent 3 years, which ended up being a little longer than I'd have liked, in print production and learned SO MUCH more there than I did from school. It may have sucked as a whole, but the job gave me a much better insight to how things are done, and taught me what goes on past the computer, which tends to be a problem a lot of creatives have. It also allowed me to turn to other ways of expressing my creativity...photography being a mainpoint.

Between working that job & the little bit of freelance I did on the side, I've been able to learn a lot about the business. I also did an internship with a tv station here (the New Orleans NBC affiliate) for 8 months while in school. Interning, school, work, and more work...I'm still learning. If I could go back, I'd not change a thing about how I got to where I'm heading right now.

U know how they say it...u gotta crawl before u can walk. ;)

12. DreaminDirector thread starter macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Yeah, I know that there is no work experience on there. I've been freelancing aat several places over the past year and have yet to update the online book. It's mostly for people to see my student work. My resume that's on paper has more work experience and my actual portfolio contains more real world stuff.

Oh yeah, and I totally agree with you both. I'm just really hungry to learn. I do want to start at the bottom. You get more out of life that way. There is more personal satisfaction when you struggle up from the depths. Maybe I'm just masochistic....

13. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

NOt even for the struggle. But hell, a BAD art Director can teach you more than a good one. Learn how NOT to do things :)

It's just nice to be able to OBSERVE what you're gonna do before you actually do it. :) ya know?