I need a Job in New York!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Feb 10, 2004.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Family, I need from the ones of you living in the NY area.

As all of you know I arrived here a month ago and I have been in Manhattan for 3 weeks already.

My sponsor is hidden from me and I have to find a job myself. I have an O1 working visa, I'm 100% legal.

I'm looking a position as a Multimedia Producer or an entry level as a Graphic Designer, anything to keep my mind busy and pay the bills.

I can do everything a Mac can do.

My web site is www.vjrei.com and my resume is at http://resumes.yahoo.com/vjrei/videoproduction

I have a pdf version too with more detail.

Thank you very much guys

2. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    unless you know someone who can hook you up, there's only one way to get a job in NYC: do it the hard way. finding a job is a full-time job in itself. read the classifieds of every paper you can get your hands on, browse every online job site you can find, and dedicate a large chunk of time each day to sending out resumes. set a goal and stick to it: send out one resume a day. or two, or five. i lost count of all the resumes i sent out when i first moved here.

it's a lot of work, but you have to do it; competition here can be fierce. the good news is i've seen more job openings recently in the tech-arts sector. not a lot, but more than there were a year ago.

trust me, it's a lot easier to look for that perfect job when you've got a crappy job that pays the bills in the meantime.

good luck... let us know how it goes.
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I think that sonofslim has given you great advice. I pray that you will be successful in you job search. Please be patient and don't be too hard on yourself, something that is good takes time. ;)
  4. lighthouseman macrumors newbie

Sep 14, 2003
    I don't think it's a good idea to write your personal phone number and home address on a page on the Internet. Just for your own privacy, and since someone who reads your resume on the net and wants to interview you can contact you with an email.
  5. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Thanx guy. I'm gonna take off my address and my phone. I'm tuning my resume big time.

I'm waiting for my social security number too, it is taking too long for me to get it.

At list the laboral situation here is better than in my home country.

Thanx guys. :)
  6. lem0nayde macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2002
    Design jobs are very hard to come by since the dotcom bust and 9/11.

I recommend checking
    often - they are a great resource and I know many people use them for job postings.

Your portfolio doesn't qualify you as a graphic designer, so you will probably have a lot of trouble selling yourself in that field (since there are so many out of work designers.) You might want to focus your search on Multimedia production.

p.s. - I'm a working graphic designer myself, so this isn't just random advice.
  7. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    You may want to try out a temp agency. When I first moved here I went to one called ASA Personnel, and they set me up with a bunch of temp jobs right off the bat. Other than that, read the classifieds and send out a billion resumes. It's the only way.

Good luck! :)
  8. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    You can always work in a fast food place in the mean time....:)
  9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    That's likely the worst advice he could take. Sure, he'd have some cash, but it may be worth more to spend time at a deadend job searching for a great one.

I know this from experience. I've quit an ok job that paid squat to focus on bigger things...that I attained. ;)
  10. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Yes, I was told I should apply for Multimedia Producer.

My work visa just let me work in the artist field. I can not work in a fast food place or something different. Audio or video.

I have been in cregslist already, I can find freelance positions there but I would need a PowerMac (not a Powerbook G3) to do the freelance video work I can find there.

I may apply as a graphic designer as an entry level position.

Keep sending me your comments, they are really helpful. Everybody are telling me about the same things but I need all the experience I can find out there. This is not my country and things are done in slightly different way.