I need a Job

Discussion in 'Community' started by G5Unit, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I am 13. I need money. I am really, really good with photoshop and know how to do almost anything(I hope). I know how to do motion graphics with After Effects, even though that might not be the right program. I can tutor anyone how to do solve almost any problem.(I just ask a bunch of questions because I have been with windows soooo long and before I only knew how to do stuff on OS 9 and OS 10.2. So does anyone have suggestions on how I could make money off know how to do a crap load of stuff?

Please don't respond asking why I have acted as if I know nothing on these forums.

2. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Well, if you are good with the graphics programs (more than just photoshop), then you could try getting an internship/job at a small advertising company or at a photography studio that does digital retouching in house.

What are the laws as far as minor labor for your area?

Mike

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

You say you know how to do it - which is good! But do you know to do things effectively? I mean anybody can apply a motion blur, change curves, adjust colors, apply layer styles, etc. But question is, can you use these tools effectively rather than just clicking a few buttons?

But I do admire a 13 year old even knowing Photoshop :)

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That's probably going to be a sticky point in most areas -- except for people working in the family businesses.

Of course you'll probably need a parental permission slip. :eek:

5. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Here are a couple things I have made:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have also made 3 movies which pretty cool. One is History of the Newspaper, NewsCast from the Past, and Mad Mooves(First one ever)

6. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Hi There

You know... I believe you must be at least 14 years old to be employed. I grew up in the same area of CA... here's an idea for you: go down to Encinitas: get your parents to drive you there. Buy some bulk flowers: roses, gypsophelia, ferns,... then get some rubber bands and a roll of cellophane wrap. Put together some bouquets, get a bucket, and find a a nice neighborhood shopping mall and set up shop! You may be surprised hou much dough you can make.

When I was your age I wanted a Wilson Pro Staff and a Mac Color Classic so bad... but my Mums had a small business and could not fork over the cash. So, she suggested I start my own little business venture selling flowers and after a few months I had the money to get the Mac, and a month later the dough to get the tennis raquet.

Anyway... just my thoughts!

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I thought the magical employment age was 16... If so, I missed out on 2 summers of cash!

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I like your stuff, it seems your very talented.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think you could swing this if you were technically working for your parents. So your customers would pay your parents, and they'd pay you. That would be legal.

I'd suggest going around to local businesses, showing them some examples of your work, then offering to do flyers, brochures, or Web pages for them.

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

California youth labor laws are a bit confusing, but he would fall in to this category untill he turns 14

Twelve is the minimum age that minors may be:

• Issued a Permit to Work by school authorities [EC 49111].

• Employed in household occupations or as a personal attendant if issued a Permit to Work [EC 49111]. This should not be construed to apply to irregular employment as a babysitter or other personal attendant duties or to irregular yard or housework since those occupations, when pursued on a casual, irregular basis, are considered exempt from permit requirements [18 Ops. Cal. Atty. Gen. 114 (1951)]. Since most domestic service is not considered part of the child labor provisions of the FLSA, the federal minimum age of 14 for permitted occupations does not apply to domestic service [29 CFR 552.108]. (See Chapter 7 of this Digest.)

• Employed or permitted to work in or in connection with the occupation of selling or distributing newspapers, magazines, periodicals, or circulars [LC 1298]. Newscarriers are exempt from the FLSA [29 USC 213].

Once he turns 14 this applies

Fourteen is the minimum age that minors may be:

• Employed in occupations permitted in Subpart C of Title 29 of the Code of Federal Regulation and adopted by inclusion by the state of California in Labor Code Section 1294.1(a)(2). These occupations are listed in Chapter 7 of this digest. No minor under 14 may be employed in firms subject to the federal Fair Labor Standards Act unless the employment is exempt as specified in Chapter 12 of this digest.
    • Employed during the regular school year, but only before or after school [EC 49112] (For exceptions see Chapter 5 of this digest.)
    • Enrolled in a Work Experience Education program [EC 49113].

All this was taken from here
    http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ChildLaborPamphlet2000.html#27

Looks like you would need your school to sign off that you could work, and the hours you could work would be limited. Looks like 14 is the magic number in California, but even then the hours are regulated and there are still restrictions on where and what you can do until you turn 18.

Good Luck to ya!

Ed

11. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I'm 14 and this is what I did too make some extra money. I started doing it when I was about 12. I made slideshows for peoples events. For example I did them for weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, company gathering thing, bar/bat mitzvahs. It's pretty good money for that age, you get about $350 per slideshow.

So it may not be the most creative thing, to utilize your talents, but it is good money.

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

babysitting - I did that at a young age and did very well with it. Never babies though. Use your talents to make brochures or flyers.

You could advertise in the paper for computer help. Private classes for older users, or families. Help set up new computers for families. Think along those lines. Use your talents to make brochures or flyers.

Make yourself a brochure of your work and get out and walk through the doors of potential employers! I always thought of places I thought would be cool to work, and then dressed myself appropriately and walked in the door and asked if they were hiring. You'd be surprised what a little initiative and politeness will get you.

13. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Is that a photo of an iPod photo or did you go into Photoshop and make it yourself?

That sounds pretty cool! :cool: Did you include music with the slideshow?

14. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I sort of took the iPod from a tutorial. But that was just for the dimensions and stuff. $350! Wow that's a lot for me. I caould do anything with that kind of money. Anyone know how I could get started?

15. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Yea, they would often give me some music requests that I would put it, or if not I would browse through some iMixs to find stuff.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hmmm.....I don't think I could ever pay someone $350 to make a slideshow. :eek:

Um....... :(

17. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Actually I found out that 350 is a fairly reasonable price. Some of the other people who do slideshows charge upwards of 500 for one, and theirs are no better than mine. That person who charges 500 does very well and I'm sure I could easily charge that much and get away with it, but I would feel like I'm ripping people off. I think the reason people are willing to pay so much is that they don't realize how easy it is to make.

18. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

How would you produce the slideshows? PowerPoint? Keynote? And have the music on a speaker system?

19. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I did the slideshows in iMovie, and then I would burn them onto a DVD and just hook a DVD player up to a projector and up to speakers. It was actually very easy.

20. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

if you need a job badly you could always work at a restaurant.

but what 13 year old needs money o_O.

21. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

HAHA!

Right.

22. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Cool, sounds fun!

You can import photos into iMovie (not too familiar with iMovie and iDVD)? Then use iDVD to make the DVD? Is there a reason why you didn't embed the sound into iMovie?

23. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

what? I didn't need money at 13, i had my nintendo, i had my TV and football. I didn't even have a need for a computer when i was 13.

But damn once i turned 14 i was working two jobs a summer.

24. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I can make slideshows. My dad owns a company called APEX(Not the TV company) and he is paying me $45 to make a letterhead for him. Maybe I could make powerpoints because he create a lot of those. I have a work permit from him and everything is filled out. Besides my dad, any buiness I could target?

25. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I didn't really do it by making slideshows.

I made it all in iMovie then I just exported it as an MPEG 2 so that it plays like a video. I also did all of my DVDs in DSP instead of iDVD.

I find that you have much greater flexibility having the slideshow as a video then done as a slideshow. The only downside is that in iMovie you have to drag a transition between each picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.