I need a lens recommendation

Discussion in 'Community' started by revenuee, Oct 11, 2004.

1. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I need a lens recommendation

15 – 30 mm f3.5 –4.5 Sigma EX or 12 – 24 mm f4.5 – 5.6 Sigma EX lens

the 15- 30 would have the advantage of being brighter because of the wider aperture but I would be loosing 3 mm on the wide scale which on my DSLR means the difference between a 18 mm focal length and 22.5 mm focal length.

Is the wider aperture worth the loss in focal length, also does anyone know if the lens flare is as big of an issue as I’ve been reading about?

Second

The 70 – 200 mm f2.8 Sigma EX + 2x teleconverter or the 50 – 500 mm f 5.6 – 6.3

I’ve been leaning toward the 70 – 200 mm f2.8 and 2x teleconverter option because it yields a 5.6 at 400 mm wile giving me the nice fast lens when working without the teleconverter.

Would the brighter lens solution be the better trade of for the loss in focal length

How big of a deal would the loss of focal length be to me – I do a lot of sports shooting, but at the same time I love wildlife – bird, deer, rodents, ect.

Keeping in my that on my DSLR that’s a difference between 600mm f5.6 and 750mm 6.3

Moxiemike and I discussed this in brief earlier and I was hoping he and I could go into this deep, ALSO I hope that the other photographers in the group will be more the willing to contribute their feelings on this subject

Thanks - Revenuee

2. revenuee thread starter macrumors 68020

revenuee

Also, just wanted to add

how about going with a fisheye lens and then using the computer to aid in achieving a rectilinear image? -- any thoughts?