I need a list.....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dave1234, Jun 1, 2003.

1. dave1234 macrumors regular

Ok, just so noone gets me wrong. I love macs, I completely enjoy using mine.
    But I just need to know what to say when a emphatic, agenda of rage,mac-hating pc-user comes up to me and saiz....."macs suck! I mean you know how good of a windows machine you could have bought for that kind of money?!?"
    this is a completely sincere list i need to actually say like intelegent things back, like why macs are superior.

2. losfp macrumors regular

The only thing that really matters is "because I like them better".

You can't win on raw speed or price, and the perceived ease of use and intuitiveness are subjective. The REAL difference in performance is so often a result of the individual user and their general computing skill.

That probably doesn't help at all, but that's all I think about when I see all the Macs v PCs argument :) (For the record, I use both platforms, and don't really mind either)

3. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

I'd just say: "I use a Mac because it's an overall better computing experience. The Operating System is the best out there, Windows can't even compare. The computers are better designed and the software is the best out there. Apple innovates, making my digital life better and better all the time. You'll obviously never understand how great using a Mac is because you're a PC-using jerk."

If that doesn't work, I'd just beat him over the head with his Dell notebook. ;)

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

a life lesson.

whether online or in real life...

don't feed the trolls.

6. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

1. Although you may have paid more than them, your machine will have a longer viable lifetime than theirs. Are any PCs from 1997 still usable today?

2. If Macs suck, why are pc manufacturers falling all over each other ripping off Apple designs left and right? (I've had great success with that one; shut's 'em right up.)

3. It's not M$ - that's enough for me.

4. If they still won't shut the frick up, tell them to -for once in their lives READ- by going here, here and of course here. They may want to have their stupid little windows narrator thing read it for them so they don't have to move their lips.

7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

In regards to #2 .. look at this piece of sh*te, where is the original design here?

tell them to stop fooling themselves and buy a Mac

8. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I am a computer guru (small business focus), so people seldom question my opinions. ;) But for those select few that do question me I tell them that the Mac has rekindled my joy of computing. :) Kinda hard to argue that one... How do you measure joy?

:D

By the way I switched 6 months ago...

9. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Ooh, ooh, I can guess!

Anyway, I don't TELL people the merits of the Macintosh, I show them. Taking out my iBook usually stops any anti-Mac conversation in the room...

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

As said before just tell them that you prefer them and walk away. You do not want to engage in the type of people you are referring to as you will never ever ever change there mind about how crappy macs are. If you can let them use a mac or show them then do so otherwise just conversation will do no good. Something else you could tell them is that when they earn enough money to buy a computer they can spend it anyway they want just like you did. If you chose to wipe your ass with hundred dollar bills it was your decission not theres.

11. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Simply say I like Macs >>>>>> why do you like windows.........

see what there reaction is.....

best one so far for me was my boss why do you spend so much cash on your car .......... Because i like it .. theres your answer ....

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The people that say "Mac's Suck" and cannot really offer any legitimate reasons deserve to continue using PCs and Windows.

Plus they may be closet masochists and really enjoy the thrill of their Windows experience. :eek:

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Agreed. Ask why they think Macs suck. And when the last time they used one was (if they ever have). If they haven't seen the latest OS and hardware, they can't say anything.

If nothing else, just smile and say "if you don't understand, I can't explain it to you" (or something else smug like that). Make them think that there is something they are missing and don't understand. Then laugh when they complain that their speed demon crashed or caught a virus or the OS had to be reinstalled or they had a driver issue... Then whip out your Mac.

I feel sorry for those who only use Windows and won't use a Mac simply because they don't know any better.

Some of us take the red pill, and some take the blue (Matrix reference).

14. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

that looks nothing like any apple product. it is a standard pc ugly ass laptop. that sony laptop looks like the powerbook, one of the dell ones does as well, however that POS does not look like an apple laptop.

15. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i just laugh everytime I hear the terms 'ultrathin' and 'beautiful' with a pc laptop. I saw an advertisement for a dell laptop the other day, it was called 'ultrathin' and 'beautiful. It was made of black plastic, was 1.6'' thick, and weighed and at a minimum 6.5 pounds (with 14'' screen). I just chuckle everytime I see online that the 17'' powerbook weights the same :) with an extra 3'' of screen realty.

16. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

yup yup
    i get a lot of those attacks - but they all shut up and try to hide their drool when i bring out my 17" PB. Then all that mac sucks buisness turns too ---ohhh what a big screen

17. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

my answer:
    "... because my slick Titanium Powerbook makes me even better looking than I already do!!! And the chicks dig it!!!"

some people should really pull their Dell-brick out of their ***...

why do home users always think they need the speed of a room packed with mainframes??? for the average word processing, internet surfing and holiday picture editing end user, there is NO reason to spend tons of €€€/$$$ on the newest generation of computers (especially in the PC world). my dad just bought a stupid TABLET!!! Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrggghhhhh, WTF??? If I had not gone to college in the state during the last year, I would still use my funky tangerine iMac DV...

IMHO there is nothing except current games, video editing and buisness/enterprise use that you cannot do on a first generation G3 or an CRT iMac

...I wish I could talk my mom into getting a sleek iBook 14" w. airport, but she feels more comfortable with PCs (don't ask me why, afraid of technological change, probably)

vSpacken

18. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

huh?:confused: it looks just like an iBook, ace! wait until you see one up close. it is absolutely NO WONDER where they got the idea for it. all white, buttons in the same position as the iBook, speakers in the same position.. it's a ripoff.
    as if that crappy VAIO with the mickey-mouse ears wasn't bad enough.. oi vey!

19. Cubeboy macrumors regular

Ask the person if he's ever used a mac, chances are he'll say no, if he does say no, pose the question: if you've never used a mac, how do you know it sucks?, judging from the general mentality of such a person, he'll probably go forth with benchmarks and prices, all you have to do at this point is to tell him that speed is only relevent when the software demands it and that the current Powermacs can run all current software in the desktop market with as much ease as the current PCs. For price, ask him why a Alienware or Falcon Northwest pc is so expensive despite having nearly the exact same specifications as say a much cheaper Dell.

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I know everyone hates car comparrisons but here comes another one. That Alienware Falcon thing is right on. It's like comparing a Mitsubishi Eclipse and a BMW. The Mitsubishi has a steering wheel and 4 wheels and gets you down the road at fairly equal speeds for much less money but come on they are not in any way the same experience and quality of car.

21. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

you just compared three cars; the BMW, Daewoo and Mitsubishi :)

22. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I think macs are most like Saabs myself. ;-)

Just got me a 9000 Cse Turbo hatchback. Now I just need an apple bumper sticker.

23. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

cool, even though beemers are the best luxury cars :p

however I digress.

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Oops I just fixed it. I rethought my comparrison mid sentence and forgot to change everything. I was originally just going to compare 4 wheels to 4 wheels then I decided to compare over all performance which you just can't do with a cheap SE asia import.

If I had to say my Mac was a certain automobile I would say it was a Lexus. BMWs are certainly fine autos but having many years of inside knowledge and working on them I know they could be better on the service end of it. On the other hand there is no car on the planet that compares to the quality durability and lack of service needed as a Toyota. Now add a luxurious interior and a nice interface and you have a Lexus. Sounds like a BMW to me. As a side note the new Lexus RX330 has more luxury features and voice control things then any other major mass produced luxury brand on the road as far as I know.

25. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I'll take that 9000 up against your BMW anyday. ;-) Saabs are pretty underrated. That 9000 I got for 5000 bucks does 0-60 in 7.2 seconds, but it has seriously killer overtaking power. It does 55 to 80 in the blink of an eye. Saabs tend to be tuned for highway driving, not really 0-60 acceleration. Not that 7.2 is that bad really...