I need a more powerful UPS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FadeToBlack, Jan 18, 2006.

1. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Well guys, last night, my power went out and my UPS' battery apparently didn't have enough juice to keep my Power Mac running for long enough to shut it down. What do you guys recommend for a good UPS that's more powerful than the one I have now? I'm not sure of the Model # of mine, but I've attached a pic of it.

Anyway, I'd like to have one powerful enough for my Power Mac and Studio Display. Also, I wouldn't mind having one with the feature to shut your computer down automatically if the power fails.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• APC.JPG
      APC.JPG
      File size:
      126.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Studawg7 macrumors regular

You probably only need to replace the battery. However, since it seems you would like to upgrade, I have used the APC RS800. It works really well and it will shut down the computer via its powerchute software. Granted this is on Windows so I dont know off-hand what the software compatibility with mac is.

3. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

This UPS isn't even a year old yet. Think the battery would need to be replaced so soon?

Thanks for the suggestion!

4. Studawg7 macrumors regular

oh wow, no the battery should still be fine unless there is some issue with it that might be covered in a warranty. One thing you can do also is to unplug unneccesary equipment like a printer. I would always trip my ups if I used the printer.

Here is a good link from APC to help select a new ups. Also, you might be able to find your model on their site to see what kind of load your ups is supposed to be able to handle during a power outage.

APC Link

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Do you have the powerchute software installed on your mac? It should tell you how much time you have left. System Prefernces-->Energy Saver-->UPS.

With a studio display, that may eat up your battery pretty fast. Perhaps you should plug that into a non-battery outlet and set the powermac to shut down automatically within a few minutes.

6. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Thanks for the link!

I think the reason that it went out last night is that it hasn't got enough of a battery to keep the Power Mac running. It worked fine with my eMac, but I figure that since I have the Power Mac AND an external display, it uses more power than the eMac. I believe I just need a more powerful UPS.

According to that link, I need this:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE750BB

As you can see, it has more outlets than my other one, which is definitely a plus. I needed more outlets, anyway. The one I have now only has 2 Battery Backup outlets and 3 Surge Protector outlets.

Thanks for your help!

7. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

The UPS I have now didn't come with the Powerchute Software.

And yeah, I have the display plugged into a battery backup outlet.