I need a new graphics card (and by "new" I mean "not what I have")

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Brian Haworth, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Brian Haworth macrumors member

So I have the Rage 128 Pro 16MB that shipped with my Sawtooth G4, and it's not working as well as I would like for a 3D game I'm beta testing. So I'm looking for something new, and by new I mean better, not necessarily manufactured within the last 2 years.
    So what's a good card that I can get for less than, say, $75 or maybe $100, that will work with my 2x AGP port and has at least 32 MB?

2. Norouzi macrumors 6502

For about $150 you could get a nice Radeon 9000 with 128MB. I just put one in my 450 PM G4 and games are running great. Warcraft III which was barly playable with my Rage Pro now runs super smooth, as does Jedi Knight II. Also the Radeon 9000 is probabily your best bet for that PM since most of the other AGP cards are 4/8x now. The other option would be a Radeon 9200, a little cheeper than the 9000 because it's PCI not AGP. I'd check out Other World Computing as they have a nice setup where you select your Computer and it'll list all the Video Card upgrades that will work on your system. A cheeper and older option would be a Radeon 7500. It'll work in a 2/4x AGP machine but only has 32MB of VRAM. You also might have trouble finding a new one (ATI dosen't cary them anymore so I don't even know a price.)

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I just replaced my GeForce 4MX with another card and would be willing to sell it, if you're interested in a low cost solution. It's not state of the art, but it's a huge step up from what you have.