Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
So, my iBook G3 is on it's way out. Something's melted down and the thing now kernel panics whenever I do anything more intensive than use Safari.

Basically, I'm looking to upgrade to a new intel mac.

I have a budget of about $1000 - 1800 AUD (mainly because I can't see my Icebook lasting much longer), and I can also get the education discount from the apple store, so that's fine and dandy. I've got 1k right now, and I'm just saving my coins.

Now, my thoughts were to go with the iMac, 17', or wait until the 12th at least and see if apple anounce a speed boost. With edu pricing, it's about $1800 AUD.

My uses would mostly be writing assignments and crap, watching movies, playing the odd windows game from the last few years and editing the website that I run.

Now, I was pretty tempted by the mac mini, but It has that integrated Video, which doesn't look that appealing. Likewise, I don't actually have a monitor that I could stick onto it, although I could probably pick up a very cheap CRT display.

Now I know that for everything but playing the odd game, even the lowest end mini will be pretty well perfect.

But my big question is this: I'm probably going to be using this computer for another 4 years, how am I gonna get the best bang for my buck, and still be able to play the odd game (Like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, etc.)?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I'd hold off for another couple weeks (if you can) and see what the event on the 12th brings. Although the Merom MacBooks/MBPs rumors are taking front and center it seems, it is also rumored that Mac mini and iMac updates are imminent as well. If the Mac mini receives a decent upgrade, you may actually want to consider it (realizing you would still need to address the issue of a display). For your games, the integrated graphics would undoubtedly still be an issue to consider. If, on the other hand, the iMac receives an upgrade, it may very well be the perfect machine for you. Although it is an AIO, thus limiting its upgradability, it would definitely be more than adequate for your needs. And, being a 64-bit chip (whether it turns out to be Merom or Conroe) will help extend its longevity as well - definitely for 4 years, as you've mentioned.

So, if you can, I'd say wait to see what the next few weeks bring. If you absolutely can't wait, then I'd recommend going with the current iMac. Again, it is a great machine, and will most likely meet all your needs.

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
Eh, as with problems with my iBook, I'm not so sure the logic board is the problem. My iBook ate a logic board before, and it's having none of the symptoms that it had last time (everything works - just sometimes it eats itself - when the LB died, nothing worked). I've attributed it to the heatsinks and the like no longer working (my Icebook gets seriously, seriously hot - like 50-60 degrees after a few hours of use) and the fact that the hard drive bearings appear to have been worn stupidly much considering the huge amount of noise it makes (it makes the Macbook Moo seem quiet in comparison), and as such the HD now has a lot of trouble working properly. It once took 4 hours to copy a couple of hundred MB from his iBook G4 to mine, so I know the HD has something up.

So, basically, I think it's not really going to hold out for that much longer. I mean, I'll legacy it to my sister or father once I get a new one, but I don't expect it to last too much longer before kicking the bucket. The end of this year is a miserly, but probably accurate estimate.

Shard: I can afford a mini right now, but I can't afford the iMac just yet. The holidays are just around the corner, which means I can get a huge packet more pay, so I'm thinking the option will be best to just wait until I see what Steve has in store for me. The AIO aspect doesn't bother me one bit, to be honest. We've got a 6 year old family iMac sitting in the lounge and because it's an AIO it works wonderfully, especially as we move it around every now and again.

But, you have confirmed my thoughts that an entry level iMac is probably the best buy.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The iMac gives you the best bang for the buck in performance per buck, but
the MacBooks 2.0 is a respectable portable counterpart.

These machines are up to 5X faster than a G4, so if you were plugging along on a G3 either one will blow your sox off.

klb028

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
yes, if portability isn't an issue... I would go for an iMac because it's very reasonable. there's no real reason to wait unless you're dying to see if they're going to release the 23-incher.

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
katielb said:
yes, if portability isn't an issue... I would go for an iMac because it's very reasonable. there's no real reason to wait unless you're dying to see if they're going to release the 23-incher.

I'll be waiting regardless, because while I have enough money for a Mini, I don't have enough for the iMac yet. I don't think I'd get the 23 incher, but waiting for a free speed boost about a week isn't really that hard to do.

So, I should have enough money by the time the refresh comes around. Gogo Student Discount! :D

These machines are up to 5X faster than a G4, so if you were plugging along on a G3 either one will blow your sox off.
Heh. Yeah, they're speedy buggers compared to what I've been used to. I've had a bit of a play at the Apple Store, and I think I'd get a new mac over a PC if just for the sexiness that is front row. ^_^;

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.