I Need A Zipper

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by michael-appleru, Apr 2, 2007.

1. michael-appleru macrumors regular

I NEED A ZIPPER THAT WILL ZIP A 100GB FILE TO LIKE 50MB

OR A really good Macintosh zipper so that 100GB goes to maybe just 20GB

for free

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The amount of compression possible depends greatly on the type of file...Word documents can usually be compressed a lot, but MP3 files (which are already in a compressed formats) can hardly be compressed at all by zipping programs.

But regardless, getting a 100 GB file (what on earth do you have that is that large) down to 50 MB is probably impossible...I can't imagine there is any file format out there that would allow for 99.95% compression.

7zip is a pretty good across-the-board compression format...try EZ 7z. I'm not sure you'll be able to do much better than whatever it outputs.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7zip is your best bet. The best compression I've seen using it was 250 MB of bitmaps to 8 MB. Even I was impressed.

4. AussieSusan macrumors member

Resetting your expectations

For free - try 7-Zip!

HOWEVER, the amount of compression you get will depend on 1) the compression algorithm and 2) the source data. For example, compression an MP3 or JPEG file will get you very little compression; however text with lots of repeating characters can get to quite a bit.

100GB to 50MB seems like too much for anything unless it is a very sparse database (for example).

Susan

5. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular

I was using exaggeration for emphasis I just want my .dmg file, which contains all sort of file types (Its for back up), to be smaller so that it will upload to the internet faster

What's a fast upload program???

Basic I want 100GB .dmg file to be smaller like 32GB??

6. michael-appleru thread starter macrumors regular