I need advice please

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by leekohler, Aug 25, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK guys- here's the deal. I'm thinking about buying a DP G5 in the near future as my G4 1 GHz FrankenMac Sawtooth with 1.5 Gb RAM and a 64 Mb Radeon 9000 Pro probably won't be able to handle video editing as well as I would like (but I could be wrong). I'm very skeptical about the first few revs of the IntelMacs and would like to have capable machine to last me through that period. So here's my question: I was thinking about just getting a DP G4 upgrade for this machine. They're not that expensive, but I'm not sure how well they'll hold up against current video editing software. I'm just getting into video editing, so any advice is appreciated. So- should I bother FrankenMacing again or just get a new G5?

2. freiheit macrumors 6502a

From what I've seen, dual G4 upgrade cards sell for about $700-800 US. For $2000 you can get a dual G5 with faster memory (granted you'd want to add more memory for video editing so the price goes up a bit), a better/faster video card, faster hard drive, DVD SuperDrive and USB 2.0 and FireWire 800 (if that's important to you).

For me, it would depend on whether I was going to make any income from the video editing work I'd be doing. If yes, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the G5. If no, then the dual G4 upgrade will tide you over another year or two for a good deal less.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I think you'd be better off with the G5. Less trouble, better performance.

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, when I got my first Mac to get me into graphic design and advertising, I made no money at first, but it came later! :) No, I won't be making money off this now, it'll be a learning experience. But- I bought the cheapest Mac when I learned design and regretted it later. So maybe it's G5 for me.

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah exactly. I bought this 17" monster 2 years ago. It took me a little longer to pay it off, but I've never regretted getting the fastest thing on the market at that point.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If you are trying to justify buying a G5 then Ok, I'll let you get one ;)

But seriously folks, it really comes down to the money issue, I know its always a key point in purchasing a new machine. Now I see OSX not being able to outrun the most modern (or fastest) hardware that Apple is supplying. So if you get a G5 now, the cost of ownership can span over the next 3 years (maximum of 5 years). So if you are willing to throw down on, at least, a 2.0 dual, then you will be fine. Good luck with the video editing, get some peace of mind buy the best, get some peace of mind buy a G5.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ok I will! Thanks guys! As always, you're the best.

8. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

hold on there.....
    i just read a post about how the 17inch powerbook was just fine for video editing. now people here are saying you should just get the G5?

i think that if your just learning and arent rendering hours of footage than why not just get by with a G4? its just to learn the tools on. take your graphic design experience for example. do you think its necessary for someone to learn photoshop on a Dual Processor? NO, not at all. my point is you can learn photoshop working on medium resolution images and learn all about the masking, color correction, selection and layering techniques that app. has to offer. i would think video would be the same. you dont need a golden paintbrush to paint the mona lisa.

im in the same situation as you, a strong graphics background and now im looking for a system to learn video editing on. i think i'll go for a dual G4 powermac or MAYBE a dual 1.8 G5 but i dont think its essential to learn the craft. what ever you do dont charge it unless your gonna (for a fact) pay it off in two months.

later and good luck with your learning.

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

There's an adage that goes something like buy all the computer you can afford. The 17inch PB does a great job as a portable video editing machine, but if you don't need portability, a DP G5 can get close to twice the rendering speed.

I tell people that a PB is fine for video editing, and it is. But a G5 is undoubtedly better and probably a better investment if you don't need portability. I don't think its a contradiction.

10. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

i know its not a contradiction. im just saying that if the powerbook is capable than a G5 isnt necessary for a learning tool when it comes to video.

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Definitely not necessary. We all have to go by our budget. But I've never heard of anybody regretting buying a computer that was too fast ;)

12. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

but i have heard people regret how they werent more careful with their money. ;)

13. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

It will take years before an intelimac is a fully capable bug free computer. Get a G5 now.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- I think I mentioned before that I was very disappointed with my first Mac. Sure- I learned on it. But after that it wasn't very useful. I mean, the thing couldn't even display millions of colors. I plan on learning while actually doing work, so I want it to be plenty capable.

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

your current mac is plent capable for video editing, i'd just use that until their are intel powermacs, powermacs will be the last to switch as they will run on woodcrest which will be available late 2007.