I need advice quick!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zipper1022, Oct 19, 2006.

  1. zipper1022 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2006
    Location:
    Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
    #1
    ahh eveyrthings spinning
    i have 2000$ should i spend it ona macbook pro 17inch from ebay or shoudl i buy a 17inch powerbook for like 1300 and keep the rest, OR should i wait and not buy a computer now?

    i cant decideeee someone help meeee
     
  2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

    SpankyPenzaanz

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #2
    if you need one now then get one otherwise you will spend all of your life waiting
     
  3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2003
    #3
    What will you use it for? thats what really changes what machine would be best for you. Do you use alot of ppc programs? If so the powerbook may be better.
     
  4. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2006
    Location:
    Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
    #4
    i do alot of final cut/ after effects and phtooshop stuff

    im an art major and do film and visual effects, i just need one for portability and working in school when im not around machines
     
  5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

    EricNau

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #5
    Just a reminder: Be very careful when purchasing Apple products from Ebay, an unusually high number are not legitimate.


    If you don't need it now, I would wait until you do. ;)
     
  6. mac000 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2005
    #6
    def. NOT a powerbook G4, obviously he did not just want buy a computer for absolutley no reason. He didnt pull the idea out of thin air. (or did you?)

    Do your Homework on the listing on Ebay for the MBP you just bought, dont let those Nigerians get ya!

    Wish i could have a 17" MBP
     
  7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #7
    Don't go eBay. Go with Apple.com refurb store.
     
  8. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #8
    Your safest purchase is still using the education discount directly through Apple
    either online or by phone 1800 MyApple.

    You could save just a bit more going for a refurb or register as a Student Developer
    and take advantage of the one time discount.

    Even if you purchased from a reliable reseller on e-Bone, chances are that you're not getting the latest minor revisions.

    If the 17" is too much for you max out a 15" and get a good external display later.
     
  9. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2006
    Location:
    Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
    #9
    i need one soon liek by next weekend im jsut not sure if my powerbook is going to be complety obsolete if i buy one now
     
  10. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #10
    Check the shipping times on new and refurbs at Apple's online store, if they're
    too much of a time crunch then you'll have to buy at your local Apple Store.

    You would be FAR better off running FCP on a MacBook Pro even if you need to downgrade to a 15" model to keep it affordable.

    Leave yourself enough budget for 2 GB RAM 3rd party and ask the local store if they have any upgrade 256 MB VRAM models in stock.
     
  11. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2006
    Location:
    Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
    #11
    does anyoen know if they made a UB version of after effects?
     
  12. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #12
    Adobe apps won't be UB until they release CS3
     
  13. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2006
    Location:
    Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
    #13
    so whats the verdict?
    should i buy a macbook pro? or spend less money and get a powerbook and wait till next yewar for the MBP?
     
  14. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #14
    PPC Photoshop apps will run fine as long as you install 2 GB RAM.
    Or you can just run your Windows versions via BootCamp as long as you
    have a retail XP CD including SP2.

    If FCP is more of a priority, you'll want the MacBook Pro.

    I take it that portablility is a must, otherwise I'd recommend a well equipped iMac now and wait till spring for your notebook.
     
  15. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

    fivetoadsloth

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    #15
    id say either get a ferbed macbook pro or the amcbook pro on ebay. though adobe isnt a UB yet they still run and when they are a UB (first quarter next year) they will fly and the mbp is more fute proof than the power book.
     
  16. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #16
    The reason I brought up the iMac, is that you get the extra C2D performance boost,
    MUCH larger and faster storage, dedicated GPU and a fantastic display for just over the price of a Macbook.

    Then a stock 2.0 MacBook could easily cover your basic portable needs as long as you max the RAM.
     
  17. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  18. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2006
    Location:
    Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
    #18
    i need the portability of the laptop, and i have an imac g5 with isight that i boght a year ago and runs awesome for all my programs liek FCp and other stuff.
    i just was tlakign to a friend and he insists that in about 6 months, the money i spend on a powerbook will be a waste becasue powerbooks will be completely obseleet...

    i am pretty much sold on a MBP i just need to find one at teh right price for me...
    i want a 17inch but i doubt i can get oen for 2000 or under, if anyone has one for sale
    pm me
     
  19. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #19
    OOPS! missed your last post.

    Your best bet is a refurb direct from Apple.

    Full factory warranty and recourse if there's any problem.
     
  20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

    thejadedmonkey

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Location:
    Pa
    #20
    Amen, bro!
     
  21. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #21
    Don't make ridiculous demands. eBay is safe if you ask relevant questions of the seller and do your research.

    I have sold many Macs on eBay and have never burned anyone. I also have bought a few Macs and have never been burned.

    In fact, many of the newer Macs are from switchers who couldnt do it. So the machine is in pristine condition in these cases.

    I will adjust your statement for you. This is of course, free of charge.

    "Don't impulsively make major purchases on eBay"

    Just because it looks like a good deal and is ending in 10 minutes doesnt mean you should go for it. READ the auction. Many times I have been caught up and saw how good of a deal it is, but once I read the auction completely I realize the truth. Not saying all are like that, just illustrating my point.
     
  22. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2006
    Location:
    Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
    #22
    i am trying to avoid using paypal or any shipping method on ebay, i lie in new york, right by New york city so every perspective powerbook that i look at is in or around new york adn i email teh sellers first ot make sure the will accept local pickup, i ws jsut offered a brand new 15inch macbook pro 2.0ghz with apple care for 3 years for 1700... doe that sound liek a good deal?
     
  23. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #23
    Not bad but get the rest of the specs, RAM, HD VRAM, all OS CD's iLife '06
    Also matte or glossy display?
    Matte is better for your needs.

    Are they saying NEW IN BOX? Never previously registerred?

    Pick-up local

    In a safe public place?

    Cashiers check made out to a person or business?

    That price of $1699.00 would be for a refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz
    Stock 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, ATI 1600 w/ 128 MB VRAM, SuperDrive. Front Row and iSight. AppleCare would add another $239

    No authorized reseller would sell you a NEW machine for the price you are being quoted.
    Apple would never send them another machine.
     
  24. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

    tjcampbell

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    Location:
    Vancouver
    #24
    Steer cleer of ebay and head straight to the apple refurb store. You will save up to 33% and will get apple care.
     
  25. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2006
    Location:
    Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
    #25
    well the computer is new sealed with applecare for three years from last month, i dont know what the specs are other than it is 2.0ghz
    i don tknow thouhg, is there that big of a difference between 2.0ghz and 2.16ghz?
     

Share This Page