I need advice- shooting a local band tomorrow

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by seenew, Jul 11, 2006.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

A friend of mine is doing the website for a local band, and he asked if I'd be interested in shooting some promo shots of the guys. I happily agreed, since I need money, and experience... However, if any of you have seen my gallery or my site, I don't shoot people very often. And I've never done band promotions.

So what I'm asking is if anyone here has any basic advice for the shoot tomorrow evening (6pm). I know that's a broad topic, but any hints would be greatly appreciated. We'll be shooting outdoors mostly, in the downtown area of the city, since there's some old buildings and factories there...

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Play with the backgrounds...it's hard to make a guy holding a guitar (or whatever instrument) look interesting. Think of the interesting background as another member of the band who has to be in the shot. :p

3. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

I think it really depends on the type of band it is...I did a shot of a band at our school (which was an underground/rock band). We got permission to go into the dirt field infront of some old warehouse/factory, and I did group shots looking up at them from the side...it looked really cool.

The enviroment is one of the most important things when you are shooting a band- it has to reflect their music.

4. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

I would use hollow points in something like a handgun. Sure they are messy but the effect is quite spectacular.

5. jive macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

^ The use of background...

And go for odd angles or really far/close shots. Take a load of them.

6. taytho macrumors 6502

hah..... it took me a bit to figure this one out...... wow i am slow....... i was thinking those were photography terms i was unfamiliar with

7. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

He's got to watch it, for sometimes those sorts of jokes....backfire

[​IMG]

-hh

8. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

PM sent.

9. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

If you are interested, clicking this link will bring you to a page on my site where there are photos I took of two recent local concerts. These are my first adventures in concert photography, but maybe you could get some ideas still, even if they are things you don't want to do :p

Take a ton of photos, that way you'll have a lot to choose from afterwards.

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

I see I'm too late. But my advice was to listen to their music, a lot. and then listen some more. Then to figure out what the band is about musically then try to figure out how to communicate that in a picture.