I need advise on laptop purchase.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by boneca, Sep 26, 2005.

1. boneca macrumors 6502

Hi guys,
    The time came to buy a new laptop. I really want to get a powerbook 15" with Superdrive but what I do is requiring allot of PC power. I need it for work and what I do is (Actuate reporting, DB2 clients, Oracle clients, Sybase clients, IBM apps such as Lotus notes ect. and ClearCase and some other Rational stuff, also Java web stuff)
    I know I can't have it all on Mac it's just won't support all this stuff written for MS.
    Is there a way to install an app such as advertized on this forum Pc on Mac to fully support all the apps I need or I might run in to many issues in the future (such as drivers ect.). If I can't do it with Powebook I will have to get Thinkpad T42 or T43 that will run me pretty much the same amount of money. (Thinkpads are good actually very good if not the best but I really wanted to get Powerbook if I can do all I need in it)

TAIA

2. ajbrehm macrumors 6502

Reporting programs and database clients should run well under Virtual PC. Lotus Notes is Mac-native. Java is as native on the Mac as it is on Windows.

3. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I would go with the PowerBook, Virtual PC, and a good external HD so that you have plenty of space to work with....dont underestimate the PB it is an amazing machine

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

If the majority of programs you use are Windows programs, you would be better of purchasing a Windows laptop. Virtual PC is an irritatingly slow program in my opinion, especially on a G4.

5. boneca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thx guys for suggestions, I guess I'll get the IBM for time beeing. I'll keep dreaming about PB, well maybe in a future.... :p