I need an Airport Extreme card?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alienmac, Jul 7, 2006.

1. alienmac macrumors member

alienmac

The only question I have is that my friend next to me was able to grab a wireless signal and I couldn't. Do I need to buy an Airport Extreme card or is it already in the laptop? There is a slot on the side of the laptop that looks like it takes a card.

I have a G4 Powerbook Rev D

This answer is prob very obvious, I apoligize.

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

A revision D powerbook G4 has wireless built in by default. :confused:

Have you tried turning Airport on?

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

You should have one.. I think we have the same revision.

Go to Apple Menu > about this mac > More Info > then to "Network"
    click on "airport" card to see if there is one... if there is, are you sure AirPort is turned on?

I've been dumb enough to have AirPort turned off and wonder why I can't connect... :p

If you have it, turn it on by going to system preferences > Network > Airport > and check for the "Show AirPort Status in Menu Bar" option.

Then, you can connect.. hopefully. The PB G4s have crap reception. Make sure "Interference Robustness" is turned on. (You're on 10.4, yes?)

4. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Sounds like you don't have one? You might want to try this. Click on the blue/gray Apple icon at the top left --> click "About Your Mac" --> click "More Info" -->click "Airport" under Network. If you don't have one installed, it'll say something like "No Airport Extreme found/connected".

EDIT: Whoops, katie's fast!

5. alienmac thread starter macrumors member

alienmac

6. alienmac thread starter macrumors member

alienmac

It says I have an Airport Card type: Airport Extreme 404.2 (3.90.34.0.p16)
    Airport is on. and nothing is happening. My friend next to me is still getting wireless. I know im missing something really small.

7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Don't know.

If you have a little V-shaped icon in the upper right hand corner next to the clock...

[​IMG]

The thing highlighted in blue (with the drop down menu), is the Airport Extreme Wireless Config client. :) If you don't, and you clearly stated that you have wireless, then you would want to either A) Repair Permissions, B)if that doesn't work, create another Administrator and see if that's there, C) Your card has forgotten it's there and wandered off somewhere offended at not being used.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That cached page is from an older PB model...in that revision I believe the Airport Extreme card was an add-on for the 1.0 GHz model and was standard on the 1.25 GHz model. But you say that yours is a Rev. D, which should be a 1.5 GHz or 1.67 GHz model. Airport Extreme cards were standard in both models.

9. alienmac thread starter macrumors member

alienmac

Yep, I do have that icon but its forever grey and I would pass it off as having bad reception, but my friend with a Toshiba can connect just fine. Do Powerbooks have a reputation for having bad reception?

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Incredibly.

try moving it around until you can grab it. That's what I usually have to do.

11. alienmac thread starter macrumors member

alienmac

Im guessing now that the slot in the side is a PC Card slot and not for a wireless card....this sucks. If anybody can think of a setting that im missing let me know.

12. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah same here. I'm always moving around for that extra bar of reception. It doesn't help that our house has this foil insulation stuff in the wall which blocks all of that sort of stuff.

13. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Yes, but it's primarily due to having been enclosed in an aluminum casing. ;)

14. alienmac thread starter macrumors member

alienmac

Ahhhh, so its normal for the Powerbook to be weak on signals. Anything I can do to stenghten the signal? If not..then I guess Im gonna have to go wireless in my house. Its just frustrating that the Powerbook cant perform like the Toshiba Satalite.

15. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Mod it? :p

Well, next time his Satellite gets a virus, just sit back and laugh. :) The PowerBook outperforms it as a whole.. just ignore the little wifi thing. :D

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

what does your network preferences show? you have set it up to connect with airport right?