I need an app to educate my girlfriend.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EricChunky, Jan 10, 2007.

1. EricChunky macrumors regular

she never close any application she opened and keep complaining her 1g ram core duo mini is too slow... everytime i press apple+tab on her keyboard i can at least see 10 icons.

is there anyway i can stop her doing this? software way, i mean...

thansk

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I find a quick slap with the back of my hand seems to get the message across fairly well. For repeat offences it's best to use body blows so the bruises don't show.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Is she coming from the Windows side?...a lot of switchers think closing the window via the little red button is quitting the program. Teach her to hit Cmd + Q to quit, she'll eventually get the hang of it.

4. reubs macrumors 68000

Pony up the dough and get her an extra gig of ram. Should heal all her wounds.

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

6. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

The inconsistent nature of this does bug me at times. Some apps quit when you close the last window, some don't. It'd be easier if they were all the same.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

All apps quit with ⌘-Q. That's pretty consistent if you ask me.

8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't mind the implementation of it...I think it's pretty good (for Apple apps at least). When I'm done with System Preferences, I can click the red button and the whole thing closes. That makes sense to me, as I'm obviously done with the app if I'm closing the window.

But if I'm using Mail, sometimes I want to close the main message viewing window to get it out of the way, but then I want to compose a new message, so I'll need a window for that. Mail understands this and keeps the app open after I hit Command-W to allow me to hit Command-N and carry on with my business.

For apps that use multiple windows, I find it nicer to leave the app open even if all windows are closed because sometimes it's just easier to close all windows and then open a new window than it is to open the new window first and then bring the background window to the front just to close it.

10. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

:confused:

My %CPU just reached triple figures...

11. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This might be the best solution.

After all, she may slap you back! ;)

...and some folks, just won't learn no matter how many times you tell them.

13. cait-sith macrumors regular

Reminds me of a joke.. what's the difference between a blonde and a computer?

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Ooh...sorry for the run-on. Let's try again, even though my Mail example sort of laid it out.

Let's use a Word window example. Say I've finished working on a document (and saved it of course) and I want to begin work on a new blank document (and I don't want the old open in the background). The way things work now, I can do the following:

1. Hit Command-W to close the current document. Word stays open.
    2. Hit Command-N to open the new blank document. I'm good to go.

If apps always completely closed when you closed the last window, I couldn't do the above because Word would shut down after Step 1. I'd have to do the following:

1. Hit Command-N to open the new blank document, sending the document I'm done with to the background.
    2. Now I need to close the background window. If I can see the red button on it peeking out from behind my new window, I can click on it to close the window. Otherwise I need to first bring the window to the foreground and then close it. Any way you do that it requires additional effort, like moving to the mouse and clicking on the window or in a menu, etc.

A word processing app is probably the most obvious situation in which you'd like to close all windows before opening a new one. But similar situations can occur in Mail, Safari and other apps.

This situation just doesn't arise in something like System Preferences where everything is in one window. When you're done with that window, you're done with the app, so it's fine for the red button to shut the whole app down.

15. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Same here.

I agree with reubs; and extra gig of RAM will clear things up and you won't come out as bad as if you slapped her :rolleyes:

16. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

OK, WildCowboy, I see now. Sorry - I think I got up too early this morning. :eek:

With modern computers apps open so quickly (except Office/NeoOffice, etc) that I find it just as easy to Apple+Q and then open the app again if I need it. Especially since I use Quicksilver.

17. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Solving the problem of too many apps open with another App? No, no, no...

Tell her how to fix it and then ignore her requests after that. Force her to figure it out.

Its called tough love man, and chicks dig it.

18. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I THINK A SLAP FOLLOWED BY 100 LINES

"I MUST USE APPLE-Q TO CLOSE MY APPS"

THIS SHOULD DO THE TRICK :cool:

FJ

19. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Don't need an app.

Command-Q her wallpaper. (make a wallpaper with Command-Q on it) :D
    Then make her a non-admin so she can't change it until she learns. :p

Saves money on memory too.

Attached Files:

20. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I bursted out laughing reading those posts. Thanks guys! :D

21. After G macrumors 68000

After G

To actually be helpful, you really don't need an application to do this.

Set her account to auto-logout within a reasonable time period. Then all her apps will automagically close unless she forgot to save something.

22. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

this actually works... we have a computer at work that is publicly used for small video projects and i laid some guidelines out and made it the background so they couldn't get ride of it... since then protocol-following-percentage seems to be up...

23. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

i dunno?

24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Send her to my place. I'll take care of it.

25. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

You know what, I think that, got my imac in November and still haven't learned that. cmd + q cmd+q cmd+q......

thanks