I Need An Easy Guide to Share iTunes B/W Mac & PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thebiggoose, Dec 13, 2006.

1. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

Just what the title says. I have a mac mini connected via Ethernet to a wireless router upstairs and a PC in the basement connected to the wireless adapter via a USB wireless adapter. The mini holds my iTunes library and I would like to eb able to listen to them via library sharing on my PC. I found a guide but it was pre-bonjour and used some complicated ssh tunneling thing. Whatever it takes, short of buying any hardware, I'll do. Plesae help me!!!:confused:

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you have iTunes on both machines just turn on iTunes music sharing on the Mini (which has your tunes) and they should show up on the Windows machines. No fancy SSH needed.

3. devman macrumors 65816

devman

? Am I missing something?

Install iTunes on the PC, go to iTunes prefs Sharing tab and turn on Look For Shared Libraries.

Go to iTunes prefs Sharing tab on the Mac Mini and turn on Share My Library On Local Network, then make sure your firewall on the Mac Mini has iTunes Music Sharing allowed.

Launch iTunes on the Mac Mini. Launch iTunes on the PC and you should see the Mini's iTunes library in the left pane. Click the triangle beside it to explore.

Edit: overlapped with Silentpanda

4. blueskybyway macrumors member

Will the above method, from devman, allow both users to sync their ipods with the other user's music? Or will you only be able to sync with the songs that are on your own computer.

Also, I have the mac and my wife has a pc. I'm buying a new mac soon and will give her my old one. I'm assuming it's just as easy to share the songs between the two macs, right?

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can only sync with songs that are not streamed to the computer. So only the ones on your computer (or appropriately configured network drive).

It's the same process to share songs between two Macs.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If you need media to be in sync between multiple computers, try http://www.twonkyvision.de/Products/TwonkyMedia/index.html

I'm playing about with it at the moment on a NAS which supports loading / running of Twonkymedia (but this does make for additional head-scratching time, especially for integration between iTunes and TM. I'm not sure I fully get it at this time). I haven't really had time to gel everything together but the idea is that Twonkymedia acts as centralised 'middleware' between music management software and your media data.