I need buying advice on displays...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SuperChuck, Feb 3, 2004.

1. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

I am about to purchase a new Powerbook that will primarily be used for web design. Since the majority of my web traffic will likely be using CRT displays, it makes sense that I should have a second display that is a CRT. Here are my questions. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

1. As an Apple-Freak, I am strongly considering purchasing a used Apple CRT display on eBay. Are there any models I should look for? Any that I should avoid? Is there a compelling reason to get a new display rather than a used Apple CRT?

2. I have assumed that the display on my Powerbook will closely approximate the look of a standard LCD display. I have noticed that colors and other aspects of my sites appear differently on Powerbooks, but I am wondering if these differences are roughly the same as those experienced on standard LCDs. Will the Powerbook display give me a good enough idea of the results I will get on LCDs, or should I save up for an LCD display, as well?

Thanks!

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um...

Dude, Apple laptops have LCD displays. The flat screens REQUIRE them to be (right now, anyway, until plasma is affordable). Look it up.
    CRTs are fairly cheap now, you can get a pretty decent new one for 200-300 bones.

3. SuperChuck thread starter macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Well, yeah, but...

I know that my Powerbook display will be an LCD (I didn't think I was getting a 40 pound behemoth), but I also know that the LCD technology in a laptop is different from that in a standard LCD. My question is whether the two are vastly different, or roughly the same.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

SORRY

I stand corrected. I should have said it is close enough where you won't notice the difference. Sorry about that. It would be a waste to buy both an external lcd and crt. My apologies.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

My understanding is that the 17 inch iMac and the 17 inch powerbook have the identical display--BUT the iMac has a much more powerful backlight, for a much brighter display.

OTOH, more and more home users now use laptops as their primary machines (like me), so seeing how your site looks on a laptop isn't a bad idea.

Make sure you test your sites on windows machines as well.... VPC will do in a pinch, but a dedicated machine is better.