I need dual monitor support help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by j3tt16, Dec 13, 2003.

1. j3tt16 macrumors newbie

I have an G4 400 AGP and I wanted to add dual monitor support to my machine. As of right now I have the 32 MB radeon mac agp card in my system and was wondering about two options. My first option is to scrap this card and buy the radeon 8500. This would give me the benefit of quartz extreme and expose on panther. On the other hand I could get a cheap pci card like a rage128 or something and do it that way. I've been using expose for awhile now and like how it works. What do you guys think?

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

either way that you have thought of would work fine. obviously your performance would be better with the 8500 though. I have dual monitors running on my radeon 7000 and also have quartz extreme working with a hack you can find on version tracker called "PCI EXTREME" it works on any radeon pci card.

hope I helped

3. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Does my ATI Radeon 7500 support dual monitors?

EDIT: It works!! That was so easy!! Just conencted a VGA monitor up alongside my Apple LCD + it all worked first time. Always thought my 7500 did not support dual monitors.

4. cpjakes macrumors 6502

My dual monitors

I have a DP 450 with the stock 16MB Rage card and a PCI 16MB Rage card. Neither of these cards are spectacular, but Expose runs on them. It's not as fluid as you'll see on current machines, but it still runs.

I've been debating about updating cards, but my Mac is due for an upgrade in a year. I don't do anything too graphically intense with my audio work, so it's not such a big deal. But if you're trying to squeeze the life out of your 400 and can't upgrade the whole machine for a while, then go with it.

cpjakes

5. j3tt16 thread starter macrumors newbie

So expose runs fine on the monitor hooked up to the pci card? Actually how does it actually work? When you press F9 does both monitors do the little sort thing or what?

6. cpjakes macrumors 6502

I don't think I've noticed... I think they only time I've used it has been with a Safari window and it was by itself on the screen... I think it did its thing, but I can't confirm that without looking. I'll check it out more tomorrow. Usually I'm on my PowerBook, the tower doesn't get much use these days...