I need DVD-r Disks

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MontanaMacster, May 4, 2003.

1. MontanaMacster macrumors regular

What is the best source(cheapest) for dvd-r media for my G4 iMac

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Apple branded DVD-Rs are some of the best quality out there and they are competitively priced. Of course there are always bargin basement brands but who knows if yer dics will be readable a year or 2 down the road.

Lethal

3. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Why wouldn't they be readable? What is different between and expensive cd-r or dvd-r? Arent they all composed of the same thing?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Quality. Lower quality optical media will be more likely to have its dye decompose or flake/chip off. This is a much more compounded problem w/DVD-Rs than w/CD-Rs because of the much higher data density in DVD-Rs. Lower quality DVD-Rs will also have more unsuccessful burns and have more playback errors/complications in stand alone DVD players than higher quality media. Even the highest rated blank consumer DVD media will only play back in roughly 75%-80% of the set top players out there. Using cheap media can drop that down to 20% or 30%.

Lethal

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

buy some apple ones, you can buy one for $5US, can't beat it for price and quality

there are panasonic ones but they go for nearly 8$US for a disc and sony ones are even more expensive

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The biggest problem I find with cheap disks is a) there's no guarantee on what speed they will work at b) often there reflecitivity is lower meaning less compatibility with commercial players and c) they could possibly degrade faster over time.

If you just need a bunch of cheap DVDs for temporary backup. Say you backup your drive every few weeks then go try these places.

http://www.supermediastore.com/

http://www.rima.com/

http://www.meritline.com/

I got 100 DVDs from Supermedia store almost a year ago for $86. The only problem that I have had with them is that they are 1x and they don't work in most DVD players. Though they work great for data backup.

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I just came across a new update at DealMac.com. It's for high quality Maxell 2x DVD-R media for $33.33 for 50. For anyone wanting high grade DVD-Rs for burning video and storage I would snap these up. You can get the information at the following link.

http://dealmac.com/articles/50751.html

8. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I can't conferm the numbers, but what LeathalWolfe states is quite true. Poor media yealds poor results.

Use the search function on this board. You might find that the tread(s) about your topic already exsist. These might help and all deal with DVD-R media to one extent or another.

9. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

...I agree with Lethal. I usually buy the Apple branded ones. one of the reasons is the plain look. I don't like fancy colored blanks and the white/silver Apple-DVDs are very nice...:)

nicenicenice

vSpacken

10. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Not all cheapies are bad

Ritek has been getting a lot of decent reviews, and I know of a professional media outlet here in Denver that has started stocking these disks ( The Tapeplace ). Some of their pluses are that they build a solid disk ( doesn't come apart ) and the dye they uses is a deep solid purple, that doesn't appear to to have been applied stingily ( a traite common with cheap disks ).

I have tried these in several burners, including my original A03 superdrive and have had excellent luck with them. In fact, the A03 hated all but SONY, VERBATUM, Pioneer, and Apple disks, but these also work well. I have also tried them in several DVD Players, and always had good luck with them. Best part is that the 4x version of this disk can be found for under $2 at meritline.com. I believe that these are the disks that Meritline itself uses for housebrand.

As far as other cheap brands.... they generally suck. If they burn ok, they probably will have playback problems in some DVD players, and over time, the data may fade away.

Just my 2 cents worth of 2+ years experience on DVD-rs.

Max

11. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

One other thing

Ritek also affers a dual sided version of these disks, however, they are only 1x.

I use them extensively for data backup, and for copying my LaserDiscs to DVD.

There is no better deal out there.

Max

12. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

slightly off topic:

what do you guys think of labels on Apple branded DVDR (like neato or memorex sticker labels)? the discs say don't do it. why not? what happens? what's a good brand that Apple superdrives can burn and accept labels?

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Personally I'd stay away from stick on labels because they've been known to seperate from the DVD while it's being played.
    I bought a thermal printer for $140 and it can be used on both DVDs and CDs.

Also, when writing on a DVD only use pens specially made for writing on DVDs. The inks from normal markers (like my trusty sharpie) can soak into the DVD dye and corrupt it. :(

Lethal

14. Warren macrumors member

The best DVDs for video use i have found are samsung BeAll. Apples are good too but I like blank discs.
    Stay away from the cheap media uless you just want to use it for data backup. The cheap stuff is very hit and miss in DVD players. The BeAll discs seem to work even in players that dont say they have DVD-r support.