I NEED HELP! Archive and Install!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JHacker, Mar 9, 2007.

1. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I managed to screw some stuff up - so I did an archive and install to get things running nice and smooth again.

Everything is back to normal. However, I have a 10GB Previous Systems folder.

I want my space back. So what happens if I delete this folder?

I want to keep all of my applications and documents. Are they contained in this Previous Systems folder?

I'm fine with losing settings because I'll just re-set everything.

I'm pretty sure the archive and install reinstalled iLife, and other essential apps as well. So can I delete the old ones that are in the Previous System?

Any help is tremendously appreciated!

Thanks!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

all your old apps, files (docs, pictures music) etc will be in the previous system folder. take what you want out of there. and once you're sure there is nothing else there for you. go ahead and trash it

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

4. JHacker thread starter macrumors 6502

JHacker

But if I go into Finder and click Documents, Music, Pictures, etc, everything is there and I don't have to go into the Previous Systems folder to get to this stuff...is it still located in there?

AKA I don't see my Library in the Previous Systems folder. It seems to have been migrated. By the way, thanks for the input, you guys wrote back in seriously about 10 seconds.

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I have never seen anything like that, my archive and installs never moved anything and my system was exactly the same (except for the fact osx was reinstalled)

6. JHacker thread starter macrumors 6502

JHacker

I just got off the phone with Apple. Turns out everything got moved :) This includes my files and applications.

The only things left in Previous Systems were the old Apple programs - the ones I installed (photoshop, aperture, office, etc) got moved.

Thanks for your help and quick responses!