i need help burning DVDs!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hellskull, Mar 15, 2007.

1. hellskull macrumors newbie

i have a macbook pro, and need help learning how to burn dvds. i downloaded mac the ripper, and my friend told me i needed a compression software, so i got that dvd2onex thing, it is also supposed to burn dvds, i dont know, im kind of stupid with these things...i need step by step, if anybody can help, that would be awesome.

2. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Just create a new burn folder, put the content you want to burn, insert the blank DVD and press burn inside the burn folder. You could also burn in iDVD but it's only video stuff.

3. hellskull thread starter macrumors newbie

how and where do i create a new burn folder, do i indeed need to compress movies, and whats the difference between video stuff and movie stuff?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Popcorn or Toast are the easiest way to compress and burn DVD movies.

5. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Video and movie stuff is the same except movie is film and video is video. To create a burn folder, just press File and select New Burn Folder. You also don't need to compress movies unless to save space.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Actually if you are backing up a commercial DVD then you probably do need to compress as most commercial DVD's are dual layer discs and thus to burn to a single layer disk you will need to compress first.

7. hellskull thread starter macrumors newbie

k, i just tried that, and it says its too big...so i guess i need to compress it? now, i guess i need help figuring out how to use dvd2one software...

8. hellskull thread starter macrumors newbie

do you know how to use dvd2one?

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Never used it, but looking at the website, you should select Full Disk Copy, then point it towards the folder that MacTheRipper created, then it should do the rest

10. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

I don't know about dvd2one but you could try to import your movie into iMovie and share it to Quicktime as a compressed movie.

11. hellskull thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, if nobody knows how to use dvd2onex, then, what is a good (and easy to use) compression software?

12. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

It's not difficult. Personally, I use dual layer discs for backups since, well, it's a backup. But in your case, do this...

1. MacTheRipper: if you want menus + movie, use FULL DISC EXTRACTION. If you want just the movie, using MAIN MOVIE EXTRACTION. Extract to a folder on desktop.

2. DVD2OneX: Choose the first option, MAKE FULL DISC COPY. It will ask where the VIDEO_TS folder is located, point it to the folder on the desktop you used for MacTheRipper. It will compress the movie (if needed) to fit a single layer DVD. Before it compresses, it will ask you whether to save as image file or burn. Choose BURN. DVD2OneX will burn the image for you after compressing. Very easy.

Any questions, feel free :)