Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
The audition isn't for a month, and honestly I don't even know the show it is yet, but I heard it's a comedy. I'm looking for something either very dramatic, or funny from a well-known play/movie. I've struck out trying to find something long enough from The Office, my favorite show. I'd love to do something from that if anyone knows of any monologues from the show.
Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thank you in advance.

P.S.-it's for high school, not too short, not too long

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, it's not comedy, but I say you go with Colonel Kurtz' monologue at the end of Apocalypse Now:

I've seen horrors . . . horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that . . . but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face . . . and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies. I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate the children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for Polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember . . . I . . . I . . . I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget.

And then I realized . . . like I was shot . . . like I was shot with a diamond . . . a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God . . . the genius of that. The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we. Because they could stand that . . . these were not monsters. These were men . . . trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love . . . but they had the strength . . . the strength . . . to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral . . . and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling . . . without passion . . . without judgment . . . without judgment. For it is judgment that defeats us.

That's from the wikipedia entry of it, though, so I don't know how accurate it is. I'm sure you can watch the movie or get copy of the screenplay if necessary. I guarantee you nobody else will do this bit!

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
don't do a monologue from something you love a lot, because it seems like you're playing the character you know too much instead of interprepting it your own way

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
iMatt mini said:
Nice suggestion livingfortoday I might look into that one a bit more if nothing else comes up that looks better.
Thanks
:)

Coolness. You might just want to skim over the screenplay (or Heart of Darkness if you have time) instead of watching the movie, because I think your interpretation of the monologue will be much different than Brando's. Just sayin'.

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
For a monologue, Moby Dick cannot be beat: Ahab is forever Ahab, man. This whole act’s immutably decreed. ’Twas rehearsed by thee and me a billion years before this ocean rolled. Fool! I am the Fates lieutenant; I act under orders. Look thou, underling! That thou obeyest mine.

Damn, you said it's a comedy. I'll try better next time!

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Ed H said:
Here is a collection of monologues from movies. I would personally go for either the Scarface or Scent of a Woman monologues :p

http://www.whysanity.net/monos/

Ed

There's some good monologues in there! I like this one from Saving Private Ryan: (not comedy though)

Medic Wade: Well actually the the trick to falling asleep is to trying to stay awake. See when my mother was an intern she use to work late through the night, sleep through the day. So the only time we ever got to talk about anything was when she'd get home. So what'd I'd, I used to do, I used to lie in my bed and try to stay awake as long as I could. But it never worked. 'Cause, cause the harder I tried, the faster I'd fall asleep. (pause) Funny thing is sometimes she'd come home early. I'd pretend to be asleep. She'd stand in the doorway looking at me, and I'd keep my eyes shut. And I knew she just wanted to find out about my day. So she came home early, just to talk to me. I still wouldn't move I'd still pretend to just be asleep. I don't know why I did that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.