I need help finding a good monologue for an audition

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMatt mini, Jul 6, 2006.

1. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

The audition isn't for a month, and honestly I don't even know the show it is yet, but I heard it's a comedy. I'm looking for something either very dramatic, or funny from a well-known play/movie. I've struck out trying to find something long enough from The Office, my favorite show. I'd love to do something from that if anyone knows of any monologues from the show.
    Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thank you in advance.

P.S.-it's for high school, not too short, not too long

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, it's not comedy, but I say you go with Colonel Kurtz' monologue at the end of Apocalypse Now:

That's from the wikipedia entry of it, though, so I don't know how accurate it is. I'm sure you can watch the movie or get copy of the screenplay if necessary. I guarantee you nobody else will do this bit!

3. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

don't do a monologue from something you love a lot, because it seems like you're playing the character you know too much instead of interprepting it your own way

4. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice suggestion livingfortoday I might look into that one a bit more if nothing else comes up that looks better.
    Thanks
    :)

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Coolness. You might just want to skim over the screenplay (or Heart of Darkness if you have time) instead of watching the movie, because I think your interpretation of the monologue will be much different than Brando's. Just sayin'.

6. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

For a monologue, Moby Dick cannot be beat: Ahab is forever Ahab, man. This whole act’s immutably decreed. ’Twas rehearsed by thee and me a billion years before this ocean rolled. Fool! I am the Fates lieutenant; I act under orders. Look thou, underling! That thou obeyest mine.

Damn, you said it's a comedy. I'll try better next time!

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Here is a collection of monologues from movies. I would personally go for either the Scarface or Scent of a Woman monologues :p

http://www.whysanity.net/monos/

Ed

8. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

There's some good monologues in there! I like this one from Saving Private Ryan: (not comedy though)

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

George C. Scott's speach from the opening of the movie "Patton"

10. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

I've seen that site before, it's good, I was just looking for some input from people as to what they think are good monologues.
    I actually used that site last year to find one.