I NEED Help! HD set up issues.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by 8thDegreeSavage, May 15, 2003.

1. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

Hey guys...i need some help here I think I may have really screwed something up by accident...

I bought a new drive.....and this is the first time I have attmepted adding a second HD to my tower...

So i got everything in, and I booted from the CD and ran Disk Util. and the drive showed up, and was labeled as "slave" as i set out to do...

So I choose to partition the drive(did I do this too soon?) and I made it one giant partition and named it....

It has been "Preparing drive...unmounting old volumes" for a little while now....the progress bar doesnt seem to be progressing....been about 25 minutes...the drive is 120GB so is this regular behavior?

Did I miss a step?
    I am not sure if partitioning it was the right idea..maybe I should have erased it to name it...didnt know...I was stupid to go ahead like that....I know this may be all my fault.

Please....help if you have the time...I am fairly worried.

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I would contact your Hard Drive vendor, maybe the drive might be bad or damaged...:confused:

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

it sounds like you did everything just as you were supposed to...perhaps try setting the drive jumpers to "cable select" before calling the manufacturer. then try to partition it again

4. peterj1967 macrumors regular

5. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

Re: Read this...

he is absolutely right. very rarely should you put a jumper on anything other than cable select (cs). motherboards do better when they get to make the decisions instead of being told what to do by some silly little old jumper! the *only* time i've ever had to mess with jumpers is on a really old pentium i have. never had to on a mac.

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

he he...i rock...

no really i've experienced problems when putting the jumper on slave. so i'm just going off of experience. i always try not to read any instructions until i try everything that i know should work. also of interest, you CAN put a third ATA hard drive in pre-mdd powermacs just under the optical drive as long as you make sure you keep it on cable select :D

7. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

slave

My second drive is set to slave... no problems

8. 8thDegreeSavage thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for all your input guys..i guess the issue is when you try partition and format option within OSX it sometimes hangs...

I reset and chose "Erase and Format" and bang..worked like a charm...

117.9 GBs availible....sweeet.