I Need Help Makin' A VCD....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SamIchi, Nov 23, 2004.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I wanna try to make a VCD of my anime so I can watch on my TV. I got Roxio Toast, Mac OSX and I pick the super video cd option, and drag my .avi file into it. There's no video playback on the preview. I remember burning it one time even though there was no video and it didn't work. I think it has something to do with Quicktime compatibility, b/c it gives me a message saying that it won't work right. I can't play the .avi on my comp using Quicktime, I use VLC instead. But I don' understand why Quicktime would be the problem b/c it's still a video file, regardless of what software I use to play it on my comp. HMmm.... I dunno, but I really want to make this cd so I can show it to my bro (doesn't like sittin' in front of the monitor). It doens't work for the DVD option either. Anyone know what I should do?

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

3. hitsuzen macrumors newbie

As Veldek says, you need the right codecs to be able to view
    your anime .avi's in quicktime ( divx, 3vix and Xvid).

As for making a VCD out of those anime avi's,
    I dont think drag and dropping the avi's into Toast would work.
    You need to convert those avi's
    into to a file that is compatible for use with VCD's. you can get simple
    pdf instructions here

Then you can bring that file into Toast to create your VCD.

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Not Enough Information

I don't see how you can expect someone to figure out your problem without some specifics. Saying you have an avi file means almost nothing. Avi is just a file format, a container. As such, it says nothing about what's in the container. The question is: What 's the format of the video and audio inside the avi file. Is is mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4 (divx)? What's the size?

Also, VCD is mpeg1, while SVCD is mpeg2. Do you know what formats your standalone DVD player will play? Unless you have one of the very few DVD players on the market that understand Divx (mpeg4) files, you won't be able to play them, as is, so that's not where you want to go.

Finally, QT can't play a lot of divx/xvid/mpeg4 stuff because it currently doesn't support b-frames, which many encodings, including divx, use. If you encode mpeg4 without b-frames, QT will play them. I've done this on my machine with ffmpeg (command line).

5. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Toast uses QT to burn your VCD/SVCD/DVD so if you can not play the movie in QT you wont be able to burn it to VCD/SVCD/DVD. As the other posts suggest you need to get the plugins.

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Sorry, but this isn't true. Toast does all the converting for you, at least in version 6. You can just drag an avi into Toast and burn it, as long as you have the right plugins. I already did this.

7. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Thanks guys. I downloaded DivX and they work on quicktime now. So I burned it and it works. One problem though The screen is cutoff, so the subs are cut in half and the sides are cut off a little. I don't see any options in Roxio to fix this. I remember messinb' around last night and there was somethin' that would change the picture so it fit the screen, but I trhink that was in iMovie. Well any ways if you guys got some more advice and suggestions it's greatly appreciated.

8. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

+
    Though toast does the encoding, it relies on quicktime for the codec.