I need help purchasing a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mjstew33, Jul 4, 2005.

1. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I am looking for a Mac. I don't necesarily need a portable, but would like it. Right now I'm considering for one of my options is the iMac 17" 2.0 GHz, 512RAM, 160GB, SuperDrive.

The portability isn't a MUST HAVE. But would be "wicked" awesome.

Is there a noticeable difference between the 17" and the 20"?

I am a student, and don't have much money. The MAX I am willing to spend is $1700.

The portable I would want is listed in my sig.

I am going to be doing very minor video editing, not that much photo work (most using iPhoto, not much of Photoshop), iTunes, iChat(or something similar), Microsoft Office for Mac, and some other non intensive work.

I would love being able to be outside on the porch surfing the net, going to my Mother's house to my Dad's house with my computer(parent's divorced :( ), and just moving where ever I want to around the house with a PowerBook.

But I would also love the unique style and power of the iMac G5. (I know the PowerBook has power too, but... the iMac has a G5 and a 2.0GHz proccesor.)
    PowerBook or iMac?

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

What about taking out a few of the specs of the Powerbook or get a refurb, and then buy a Dell 2005FPW. Then you have the best of both worlds. Or get a refurb 15 inch. IMO the 12 inch screen is to small to be using all the time.

3. Sam I Am macrumors regular

And we meet again! :) I was in the same sort of situation, but it was between the iBook and iMac. And as you know, I am your age (well, I am 13, but close enough). I decided on the iBook just because of the portability, and that the iBook had enough power for me. I think the iBook could handle what you plan on doing pretty easily, so you might want to consider that, but it's completely up to you. I have seen the 17" and 20" side by side at an Apple Store, and the 20" is much bigger (IMO), but the 17" is big enough for most users. I would suggest that you get a laptop, especially because you'll have to carry it between your mom's house and your dad's house (sorry about the divorce). I really love the idea of being able to use my computer wherever I want, and carrying it around with me. Good luck with your decision, I know you'll be happy with whatever you decide, because it's a Mac!

4. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

I think my purchase will be an iBook :D . Once it get's updated :( (hopefully thursday... :eek: )

Because, really, I don't need all the power of the PowerBook, and I think the iBook would do just fine -- as soon as it's updated.

How fast is the the SuperDrive in the iBook? 4x or 8x? or maybe even 2x :eek: ?

And maybe after that... I'll get an iMac :D!!! (in my dreams!)

5. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I have an iBook 1.2GHz 12" with a GB of RAM and it does Final Cut, LiveType, and Photoshop really quickly. I'm usually running AIM, Firefox, iTunes, and sometimes Limewire at the same time without any problems. I have a 17" LCD with my ibook on an iCurve and a bt mouse and keyboard and external DVD burner. Here's my desk:

Attached Files:

• desk.jpg
      desk.jpg
      File size:
      80.2 KB
      Views:
  6. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

If you don't need a computer right now you might want to hold out for the Intel Macs. Everyone says they will be a lot faster.

8. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

9. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

Check the Apple student store. An unmodified 20" G5 iMac is $1699 plus tax, quite an excellent deal. AppleCare will run you another $200, but you can wait up to a year to buy that. Enough power, big enough HD to last for years.

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Just so you know, if you get an iBook + External display, it can only mirror the image of the iBook. There are hacks out there to use two displays with one iBook, but it will be 16 MB video per screen, not really practical.

My oppinion: Get a 12" PowerBook with a CHEAP LCD, like the 20" Dell reccomended here.

11. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Odd... I never used a hack on mine and it went right to dual displays. It also gave the 17" LCD native resolution of 1280 x 1024 while the iBook is on 1024 x 768. I expected it to be a res of 1024 x 768 but it instantly adjusted to the monitor.

12. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

The beauty about iMacs are that they can be portable now. Check out the iLugger.

http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generate_css_temp.cgi?p=a-lta-1084

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Nice setup!

Sushi

14. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Thanks.. it's taken me a couple months to acquire everything.. got the BT mouse and keyboard and a gig of ram early June.. then for my bday last Friday I got (along with my driver's learning permit :D) an iCurve and the LCD. I got the external HD, fw dvd burner, and iBook for Christmas. I also use a nice surround sound system with it. iTunes is ALWAYS playing :D

15. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The iMac is easily powerful enough but the iBook may leave you wanting more. The PowerBook isn't all that much more powerful than the iBook so I recommend the iMac. :)

17. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I admit that with my iBook I wish I had more.. but I don't need more. It does everything I need in more, and from what you've said you're going to do with it I think it will be just fine. People underestimate the iBook. It's a workhorse.

18. Jazzbolicious macrumors newbie

Go with the imac, 17" 2.0ghz. IMO, there is no reason to invest in a 20" lcd attached to a non-upgradable computer. An imac should last you quite a bit longer than any ibook/powerbook you're considering. Perhaps when you get a little extra cash, you could find a cheap ibook with airport for simple web, email, and music on the go. I don't see the point in having a laptop as your only computer, but watch everyone jump on me for that statement. :)

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Your situation and your needs really do make this a tough choice.

The best system you can buy for your money is the new
    Rev B 17" 2.0 GHz iMac G5 with the 128 MB GPU.
    With wireless KB and mouse you're very well covered for $1453.

Your next best choice is the 12" PowerBook with SuperDrive for versatility, portability and well proven performance for $1499.

I would pass on the iBook until they upgrade.

Since you're going to spend quite some time with your purchase, I'd make a trip or two down to your local Apple Store and play with each one for a while.
    Seeing all the models side by side really helps to narrow
    down your choices.