Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freddiejg987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2012
i was cleaning up my desk top today and found a "File" named NO NAME i say file but its not thats just the image shown, when i right click it you cant delete but you can eject it.

my problem is i cant eject, delete, open, rename or do anything to this thing and im concerned it may be a virus or something..

any help or advise would be great.

Thanks

p.s. if i have put this in the wrong place im very sorry im new to this site.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Right click on it and hit "Get Info" and check to make sure that you have the privileges to change it. It should look like this if was normal...

1szb0o.png

If not, try repairing disk permissions then rebooting. If that doesn't work, in that info panel, click the lock in the bottom right corner. Enter your password and change the privilege to "read and write". Then try to delete it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i was cleaning up my desk top today and found a "File" named NO NAME i say file but its not thats just the image shown, when i right click it you cant delete but you can eject it.
If you can eject it, that would indicate it's a drive or disk image (.dmg). Simply eject it.
my problem is i cant eject, delete, open, rename or do anything to this thing and im concerned it may be a virus or something..
What happens when you try to eject it?

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
  1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild. You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.