I Need Help!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Nutzoids, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Nutzoids macrumors member

Some one out there must know if it's possible to build your own custom Mac? Mostly I need help finding places to buy the parts! Anyone have some help for me? Websites and articals would be the biggest help!

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

1st: make you thread titles moe descriptive than I need help....more ppl who know stuff about your topic will respond then.

2nd. Do a search on techtv.com and look for their article on building your own G4 Clone .... they did a nice job... its not easy to get parts tho so good luck... it may be cheaper just to buy a system so keep that in mind

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

it usually ends up just as expensive to buy a mac from apple than to try and build your own.

you will need to get like at least a 400mhz G4 and then get an upgrade card from sonnet or xlr8yourmac.com this is gonna cost you a pretty penny dude.

just buy a MDD G4

4. Nutzoids thread starter macrumors member

Cost is not the issue here. The way I look at it will cost me about $2000 to do it right. The same price as just buying one. But this way I can stretch out the payment and completely customize the case. Plus just the sheer pride that I built the thing myself! That’s the most important thing...The one thing I miss about the land of the PC...Building and troubleshooting! I have a pretty good understanding of what I need, I just have no clue where to go to get them is all.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Be sure to check dealmac.com to make sure your not ripping yourself of.

scem0

6. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

That is definatly not something i miss about the PC world

But thats just me

Anyhow http://www.macopz.com/buildamac/ seems like a pretty good source.

a little dated but it does give you a list of places to buy parts.

I did come accross this today, seems kinda neat for the hobbyist
    http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/03/0514.html

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Bragging rights is really the only reason to do it. While the price of building one is comperable to buying a new one, keep in mind that a new one is just that--new. The one you build will be basically an upgraded 4 year old computer. In that respect you'd be better off buying a top of the line PM G4 or a 1.6 G5--either costs $2000. If you need the pride, bragging rights, and joy of troubleshooting that's a different story.