I Need Help!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jen1love1, Sep 21, 2004.

1. jen1love1 macrumors newbie

I am new to the Mac. Period. My husband bought the PowerMac G4 (QuickSilver) 2001 and he abandoned it after 6 months. He only uses it to update his ipod, but lately he's been using his PC for that too. The Machine looks great, so one day (2 months ago) I decided to try to learn more about it.

I read up on formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS (I recently bought and upgraded to panther). First, I loaded OS 9, then OS X 10.1, then finally OS X 10.3. I think I might have done something wrong because now applications that I loaded before, like mac office vx and Final Cut Pro 3.0, won't install. When I insert the CD, it just ejects.

If there is anyone who could tell me exactly how I should have loaded the OS, I would appreciate it.

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I really don't see why that won't work. However, if you are experiencing problems, then I would start over and erase the drive, reinstall OS9 and then install 10.3. Installing 10.1 is not necessary and the upgrade MIGHT have cause some strange behaviors.

In addition you should repair permissions using the Disk Utility found in the Utilities folder before you try any reinstalls as it is a lot simpler task to accomplish. If that doesn't work then you might want to follow my advice listed above.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Just start with OS X 10.3. There's really no need to install OS 9 and OS X 10.1. Some might argue OS 9 is nice to have installed but since you're a new user you probably have no old applications.

To reinstall you can just insert the OS X 10.3 CD and reboot holding down the "c" key on your keyboard. Everything else should be guided from there.

4. jen1love1 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. pncc macrumors regular

Yoda makes some good points. I would also look at this apple tech page:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61477

6. coconn06 macrumors regular

Agreed. Don't install OS 9, unless you already know you need it for something. Even some of us long time Mac users don't have it installed (and haven't for years) :)