Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ieatflamingos, Aug 2, 2005.

  1. ieatflamingos macrumors newbie

    Aug 2, 2005
    Hello, i am a frequant visitor to this forum and love to read up on apple.I have just registered to post and come to you with this common question....

    I am a graphic arts student and i am seriously looking at a new powerbook. I have just about enough money to purchase one and am looking to buy in september.. I currently have a powermac g4 and love it BUT..i really need something portable BUT still powerful. Are there any other web/graphic/computer designers out there that can give me some advice on getting 12' 1.5..?. 15' (1.5 or 1.67).....or better yet the common question is it worth waiting till the mactels have landed...
    thanks in advance
  2. eva01 macrumors 601


    Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    12" with external display would be my sugestion
  3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604


    Mar 17, 2004
    For most Macs I would say its not worth waiting. Especially the G5's (iMac G5 and PowerMac G5).

    However, the PowerBook has been stuck at around the same speed for quite a while due to the fact that they can't fit a G5 processor in the laptop. So it's possible the PowerBooks might be the first to get Intel processors because they need a serious speed boost.

    It MIGHT be worth waiting. It might not.
  4. Mord macrumors G4


    Aug 24, 2003
    refurb 15" powerbook or a 12" with a dell 20-24" if you really need super mobility, also get a KMV switch and rig it up to your G4 so you can use it on both.
  5. zelmo macrumors 603


    Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    IMHO, If Apple doesn't have another update on the PB line by September, that is a good indicator of Intel PowerBooks getting announced perhaps as early as MWSF.
    Either way, if you need a laptop in September, get one. If they don't move the line to Intel in early 2006, you'll be happy you made the call. And if they do, I imagine there will still be plenty of folks who will prefer to have that last rev PPC PB rather than try a rev A InteliBook. You'll be able to sell it without losing too much value.
  6. wPod macrumors 68000


    Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    it will be a year until the intels ship so i wouldnt wait. for the most power id go for the 15" with the 128mb graphics card. that will be the best of portability and graphics power. if you can spring for it get an external monitor also. just because youll enjoy the larger space when you have a chance to sit down with the monitor. i really love my 12" PB with my 20" monitor but in the long run the 128mb graphics card will be better, especially for graphics design work.
  7. ieatflamingos thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 2, 2005
    thanks all for the advice. i now am leaning towards a 15' PB.

Share This Page