I Need My YDL 4.1!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Littleodie914, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I'm taking an Intro. to Unix course at my high school, and want to install linux on my iBook. I've got a bit of experience dealing with the different linux distros, and know that Yellow Dog Linux is probably the best for Macs. I've been keeping tabs on its progress, and see that the new version 4.1 contains a beta driver for the Airport Extreme. In fact, on the comments page, a guy actually posted using his iBook with AE confirming that the driver worked just fine.

The problem is, YDL 4.1 doesn't seem to be available yet, either to purchase or to download. Does anybody more familiar with this company's behavior know when the ISO's for 4.1 will become available for public download? It was released/announced back on like... January 6th or something like that, and I'm just wondering when I can get my hands on it! Thanks!!:confused:

2. ziutek macrumors member

You can purchase YDL 4.1 at the store.
    http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/store/
    YDL 4.1 isn't available for free until like Feburary or March (i think...)
    I heard on the YDL forums that the newest versions aren't available for free for a while so that the company can make some money.

3. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Alright, that's what I was thinking.

For now I think I'll just install 4.0.1 and work with that until I can upgrade to 4.1 later. I have two questions though,
    1) Once 4.1 is released, is the upgrade process simple? For example, will I have to backup all my files, wipe + install, then put everything back on? Or is it a simple upgrade process such as Panther -> Tiger where files are preserved?

2) Is the beta AE driver available for download? The only reason I really have for 4.1 over 4.0.1 is the ability to use my wireless card, since I don't always have access to an ethernet port at school. (Though the wireless network spans the entire campus.)

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm a little curious to know what it is that you need Linux for. Mac OS X is also a UNIX OS, so I would think that you could do everything you need to in it. Not that I'm trying to discourage you from using Linux, I play around with it myself (on my PC), just curious.

5. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

Do you mind if I ask what you are planning on doing with Linux on your Mac Littleodie914? Because I too have recently had the urge to install a PPC Linux distro on my old iBook for fun and experimenting. I was mainly looking at YellowDog for the same reasons as you. Airport compatibility, and a nice looking GUI. But now I'm not sure what uses I actually would have for it.

Besides, now am wondering if I just can't find a port of the application(s) I wanted to use in Linux.

Any thoughts?

6. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys. I was going to install Linux just to have a separate OS to mess around in. Also, it'd be nice to get a bit of experience for college, and I could switch into it for my Intro to Unix course.

A question though, if I install 4.0.1 on my iBook, when 4.1 is released, can I upgrade everything from within the OS? Like through a software update-type thing? Or will I have to re-download the .ISO files and install the OS over again? This is the real reason I've held off installing it until now.

And regarding the new Compiz window manager (based on OpenGL, demoed at the XDevconf), will it show up in future versions of YDL? Or is this an x86-specific technology? Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it! :D

7. fradac macrumors regular

if its just a kernel change then you can upgrade, but most probably you will have to re download the ISO files.

also have you looked at Ubuntu or Kubuntu. they are very nice and support most apple hardware, + are both offered as Live CD's that way you dont have to clean our your ibook HD and do some dual boot operation. you can simply boot from the CD and are good to go.

i have the Ubuntu version (gnome variant) and its very convenient when i need to get into linux for a quick tweak.