Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
I'll be buying a Dual 1.25 or 1.42 G4 and I'm not sure what to do as far as a monitor, extra RAM, HD, etc.

Should I buy the main system from the Apple store and then get all my upgrades elsewhere?

Where can I get good RAM cheaper than at the Apple store?

Where can I get a good 21" monitor? What is a decent monitor other than Apple's 20" Studio Display?

If someone could give me specific sites to go to for all these components/upgrades that'd be great.... I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a lightning fast DP G4 as cheap as possible.

I'll be using it mainly for graphics so I wanted to know what the best video card is... I'd like a 128mb card, but I don't know which is best...

Thanks

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Are you sure you don't want/can't afford/can't wait for a G5? Even the 1.6Ghz G5 will be faster than any G4. Apple no longer makes the G4 in a 1.42Ghz model, so these will become tougher to find. I'm thinking it would cost you no more than $300 more for the G5 over the dual 1.25 G4 model with high end graphics cards in each, although you will still have to find a monitor and buy RAM. Just don't buy it from Apple!:D

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
The holy trinity: Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark

2d graphics, page layout, etc.

PixelFactory

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Chicago
The nVidea card that comes with the G4 is more than enough for that. As far as monitors... If you want color correct I would look at CRTs. Lacie and Sony make models that come with calibration tools. otherwise the apple 20" is a good choice too.

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
Thanks, but I'm not interested in a TiBook... I'm looking for a Power Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.