I need shopping advice... please help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by onlydroops, Aug 5, 2003.

1. macrumors member

I'll be buying a Dual 1.25 or 1.42 G4 and I'm not sure what to do as far as a monitor, extra RAM, HD, etc.

Should I buy the main system from the Apple store and then get all my upgrades elsewhere?

Where can I get good RAM cheaper than at the Apple store?

Where can I get a good 21" monitor? What is a decent monitor other than Apple's 20" Studio Display?

If someone could give me specific sites to go to for all these components/upgrades that'd be great.... I'm trying to figure out the best way to get a lightning fast DP G4 as cheap as possible.

I'll be using it mainly for graphics so I wanted to know what the best video card is... I'd like a 128mb card, but I don't know which is best...

Thanks

2. macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

RAM

many people swear by crucial

you can also check dealram to compare prices on RAM.

3. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Are you sure you don't want/can't afford/can't wait for a G5? Even the 1.6Ghz G5 will be faster than any G4. Apple no longer makes the G4 in a 1.42Ghz model, so these will become tougher to find. I'm thinking it would cost you no more than $300 more for the G5 over the dual 1.25 G4 model with high end graphics cards in each, although you will still have to find a monitor and buy RAM. Just don't buy it from Apple!:D

4. macrumors regular

onlydroops,

Graphics is kind of a loose term. Are you doing 3D work or just Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark/inDesign?

5. thread starter macrumors member

The holy trinity: Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark

2d graphics, page layout, etc.

6. macrumors regular

The nVidea card that comes with the G4 is more than enough for that. As far as monitors... If you want color correct I would look at CRTs. Lacie and Sony make models that come with calibration tools. otherwise the apple 20" is a good choice too.

7. macrumors member

---- oops, posted in the wrong forum. ----

8. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I'm not interested in a TiBook... I'm looking for a Power Mac.